97 Venture 500 bottom end disassembly and assembly

norwegian

The lower mount for the e.start is broken on my venture 500. To weld a new piece in there, I am told that the bottom end has to be stripped clean because it has to be heated up and then welded.

1) Can you weld this at all, do you need metal that is identical to the metal that the bottom end of the motor consists of?
2) What parts do you need to put the motor togheter again after such a weld job. Which of the stripped off parts have to be replaced? Gaskets?

I'm guessing this is a part of the crank case that broke off? Most likely our crank cases are cast. Welding anything cast is a nightmare. Not impossible but generally very difficult to pull of right. A welder with experience with it would be your best chance, Other wise it is a hit or miss senario

Last edited:
I think I would find another set of cases since you may have to pull the bottom end apart anyway. Unless a McGuiver fix is all your after.

Do I need a set? the broken mount is on the lowermost (?) case only. Can't I mate the lower and upper crank case pieces?

I think I might just dump the e.start for now. Swapping cases seems to be expensive. What mods need to be done to the electrical system other than the condenser?

As mentioned, you dont want to mix and match case halves, supposedly. One may think twice on a 500. But, you can split your case halves apart leaving the top end in tact to repair your lower bad case.

Not to spill the beans, but that trick was actually recommended by yamaha on several service bulletins and/or factory recalls over several models to save labor dollars while fully charging you for parts and labor from the top down. Going bottom up, its yamabond and two crank seals. Top down its twice the labor and 3 times the parts.

Helpful hint for those changing crank seals, bottoms up is the way to go. All you need for the phazers, srv's and similar crank mounted oil pump drive gears is a clam shell style gear puller and a hydraulic press. Saves tones of time and money.

Too bad your so far away, I have a nice set of 8CR cases laying around.

Last edited:
I run my 700 triple without a starter. (Clutch failed on it) Left the battery in as a smoothing condenser. My sled always started super easy and predictably so pull cord is no big deal. Only when I have to start it in -25c weather is it a pain! Those triples become much harder to turn over.

Last edited:
Yeah, I already have the starter motor out, I just want to take the battery out as well, it's basically dead weight. After that the Venture 500 will be light light light!

Don't know why, but on my sled if you disconnected the battery I lose my tachometer. So kept it in for that reason and the fact that it is my smoothing condenser.

Back