custom reverse

jduncan

ok i'm a newbie here I've searched and searched google and most lead bring me here so im here to ask my question directly.
I have a big crazy project i'm working on and am in desperate need for a simple solution.
It is a '83 ish Yamaha g1 golf cart with a red top triple 700 shoe horned in the engine bay.
the engine is from a 1998 vmax xtc deluxe.
so my problem is reverse.. i fabricobled a starter and bracket and doodad's in it to crank the engine the opposite direction to
make reverse happen. however i believe the timing advance is screwing with me and its not working as planed it will occasionally
hit and kinda sputter. not run. ive tried reversing plug wires, coils, and moving the pickup as many red ones as allowable.
does anyone have a clue how to solve this ? my next attempt wil be to lengthen the tabs the pickup coil reads. i belive if it has a 15`
advance turning normaly then that would be a 15` retard cranking oppositely? idk?... Does the cdi box have anti reversing protection?
any info would be great. any more details needed?

Side question to you,,,How fast does that thing go?? I am putting same motor in my buggy,check out pics of buggy on thread named (eliminating oil pump)

Do you have any pics to share??

The rotax RER works because it has a second pickup that the CDI uses to run in reverse. The short answer I would guess it that you won't end up achieving what your after. If you do let us know.

i would think you would definitely need to move that pickup 15deg ATD. maybe think of being able to switch between the 2 somehow when going into reverse.

Back