Primary removal 01 SRX 700

P.S.3545

Need some advice on removing a primary clutch on an 01 SRX 700. I inserted a rope in the middle cylinder in order to prevent the engine from turning so I could remove the bolt, then used the puller . I didn't have any problems removing it. Question is that did I cause damage to the crankshaft by using this method..like unphasing or twisting the crankshaft?

Last edited:

I ALWAYS use an impact wrench (electric or air) to remove the main primary bolt. An impact will remove the bolt without turning the clutch/crank, thus solving your problem. The modern rechargeable impact drivers (DeWalt, Makita etc) will work fine also. The beauty with an impact is you will almost never break a bolt, unlike with a power bar/ratchet handle.

I also use the impact to drive the puller inward. Clutch comes off very easily. Hope this helps.

You have to be careful when using an impact, you can damage the end of the crank, or even bend the puller, I've had both happen to me once. Here is an easy way to remove a clutch without an impact, remove clutch bolt, fill hole with grease, turn in puller and tighten, the clutch will pop right off with ease.

i would not use that rope again. that good of been big trouble for you if it would of log jammed down in that motor. wich would of resulted in a complete engine tear down wich is way more work than just pulling the primary. use woodys advise , get yourself a impact. with this you can hold your primary by hand and zap it off. if you have correct puller and it fights you, add some grease to the inside of clutch. no more rope. i don,t think you hurt anything, but i don,t like that idea. 3:16x (yammie tony)

i would not use that rope again. that good of been big trouble for you if it would of log jammed down in that motor. wich would of resulted in a complete engine tear down wich is way more work than just pulling the primary. use woodys advise , get yourself a impact. with this you can hold your primary by hand and zap it off. if you have correct puller and it fights you, add some grease to the inside of clutch. no more rope. i don,t think you hurt anything, but i don,t like that idea. 3:16x (yammie tony)
I was tearing it down. I just want to know if there is a chance that the crank might have twisted .

Back