rivet size on viper mountain tunnel extension

expat

I just bought a 2004 SX Viper mountain and some of the rivets holding the tunnel extension on to the main tunnel are loose. Local Yammy dealer cant help so can anyone tell me what size [length diameter style] so I can get them from local supplier. Thanks

In my opinion, by far the best way to permanently fix that it using buck style rivets as used in aviation. No pulled rivets will fix your problem as they will simply do the same thing you have happening now. Seems to be a consistent problem with the yamaha mtn sleds, rack or no rack, the extra tunnel length seems to be hard on the rivets.

Thanks snowdad4 , notsure where I would get those from here, and then I need the special hammer for my impact gun, Might rerivet it and use a couple of bolts in strategic positions, apparently previous owner used it to tow ice hut on lake for ice fishing !!! Do you know what size the original Yamaha rivets were ?

3/16 is correct, or 4.7mm? Look up your rivets on any parts finder and I can decode them with a part number. If you want to do a one and done fix, dont pull rivets in there again. If you dont have access to the buck style rivets, go for some 1/4" button head allens with whizlocks nuts and locktight in your aforementioned stategic locations.

You should be able to get away with about 8-12 bolts and take the flex out of the extension, and please use stainless in case someone else needs to work on it down the road.

Back