Oil pump priming

NHRA3299

I'm wondering what everyone does to prime the oil pump after removing the oil lines? I pulled the motor to clean the belly pan and just want to make sure I don't hurt it. I plan on mixing the first tank 50:1 and holding the oil pump wide open for a bit. Thanks in advance.

Do what shaggy said and then hold the pump wide open for a bit when you first start it like you said. No need to mix first tank.

Mix the first tank. The oil line that goes from the oil pump to the fuel pump needs to be free of air. At the amount the pump flows holding it open for a bit will not bleed that line for anout 30 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mix the first tank. The oil line that goes from the oil pump to the fuel pump needs to be free of air. At the amount the pump flows holding it open for a bit will not bleed that line for anout 30 miles.

IMO never mix gas. As shaggy said simply bleed pump and once started pull the cable wide open till she smokes. You will run lean on fuel and smoke a piston running it for long with working pump and mixing. I just did this on my daughter's viper after pulling engine and she was smoking like chech in no time.

Back