Should I have my 99 srx crank welded?

drew24

In the tech section it talks about needing to have the cranks welded in the 99 srx if you stud it. Should I be worried about it if I put a 780 top end on it? It has a 136" track on it that is not studded. Just wondering if it will be a problem with the extra power. It has 6000 miles on it and it had a 1 1/4" track with studs when I got it and had no problems. I don't really want to pull it back out if I don't need to. I had it out last year. I don't know if the 780 will be on it all year or not. Depends on weather and how much time I have to get the jetting right. Any thoughts? Anyone ever have a problem with the 99 crank? http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/srx.htm

That's kinda what I was thinking just for piece of mind. Has anyone ever welded it themselves? I saw the welds on my viper crank and it just looked like a half inch stainless tig weld on each rod pin. I tig weld every day so that wouldn't be a problem.

After you weld it. Then you need to true the crank. Make it as true as you can. I spent hours on the press with mine.
---mac---

After you weld it. Then you need to true the crank. Make it as true as you can. I spent hours on the press with mine.
---mac---

Ok. Thanks. I will probably just send it out to be done since I don't have the proper tools to true it up. I can imagine it can be a pain to get it true. Thanks for the input.

with 6000 miles on it and age alone now( its 17 yrs old on those seals) and then putting on a topend like a 780, youd be crazy not to weld it and install new crank seals!

with 6000 miles on it and age alone now( its 17 yrs old on those seals) and then putting on a topend like a 780, youd be crazy not to weld it and install new crank seals!

I pretty much figured it would be crazy to not weld it. I did install new seals last year. I am going to try to get it out pretty soon and get it sent out somewhere. Anyone have any suggestions where to send it?

Are we talking studs in the track or studs in the motor (dummy question possibly lol)?
Studs in the track. Basically my understanding would be the more traction you have the more power you are putting to the ground which would put more stress on the motor.

Back