SXR clutch weights

shaggyzr2

Does anyone know what weights came stock on a 2000 SXR 700? Mine has 8DF in it now, RPMS are too high, around 9000. I thought they came with 8DG weights but not sure. what is the weight difference between the 8DF and the 8DG?

Yamaha rivets are also color coded on some as well as weighted different, for example the 3.6 rivets are a dark grey coloring and the 4.5 are a bright gold. if you look in the clutch section here on ty it has the rivet chart and description. As to your original question, the 8dg are the sxr weights, the 8df weights are srx600 weights.

I just looked in 2001 they also used the 8df weight so looks like it could be used in either sxr700 or the srx600.

The rivets are the gold color, Those are the heavier ones so shouldn't that bring the rpms down? as far as I can see, the rest of the clutching looks stock in that sled. The guy my friend bought the sled from said he had a guy do some clutching to it but he couldn't remember what he all did.

Had a simular RPM issue on my Venture 700. Ended up switching the tip rivet to a heavier ones, and adding two 6mm steel washers per weight. Each weight gain 2.8g after trimming. It drasticly reduced my rpms.
Another way to achieve the same thing is a weeker primary spring.

Apparently they all over Rev from factory

Last edited:
also check bushings in the primary had a bad cap bushing make my sled over rev

I would look at part number on helix and check all that to the stock clutch chart, including the spring color codes, something is likely not stock

All parts in both clutches look to be stock. The shoes in the secondary are worn bad, could that have anything to do with it?

my buds 2000 sxr 700 came stock with 8df weights we had to put heavier weight in the tips and or a softer compound belt! such as a 89- L . You may be over reving because of belt slippage ... are your clutches hot after a good run?

my buds 2000 sxr 700 came stock with 8df weights we had to put heavier weight in the tips and or a softer compound belt! such as a 89- L . You may be over reving because of belt slippage ... are your clutches hot after a good run?
We never checked to see if the clutches were getting hot, I'll have to wait till we get some snow to take it for a ride.

Back