98 xtc 700 handles like arse!

benderxtc700

Hi....been lurking around here for a little while....great site with lots of info its been great help learning about my sled. I've been a Yamaha faithful owner since I was a kid....dirt bikes, wave runners, streetbikes and now snowmobiles.
I bought this sled from a buddies dad with only 4500k on it. Its in great shape but it doesent handle worth a #$%&* . I dont even know where to start its like riding a sheet of plywood. The xtc has more travel correct? It seems like mine has no travel and I dont know where to start. DO I send out the shocks to get rebuilt and revalved or scrap them in favour of some newer viper units. Alot of the suspension talk is about sx...sxr...srx...but not much about the xtc.....any help would be great!!

I think if memory serves me right, the xtc's had hyd shocks. I know they are lighter sprung than the sx, sxr's. Look to see if they are aluminum bodied shocks or steel. Also how close in weight are you to the previous owner. Maxdlx

The shocks are alum bodied and the old owner weighs about the same...give or take 5 lbs(185). The sled bucks me around like a bronco. When I put all my weight on it...it doesnt even move. I checked how it was set up compaired to the stock settings in the owners manual and it was set to standard. I let the limiter strap out all the way( only a couple of threads left) and there seems to be a bit more action in the rear but have yet been able to test it on the trail. Not sure what that is gonna do to the rest of the sled.

Try this. Loosen up your limiter strap and remove the front shock. (great tips in the tech area for doing this.) Tighten the preload to maximum setting and reinstall. With the sled on the ground tighten up your limiter straps untill snug and then tighten 1/4inch more. Leave the rear shock and fra in medium position, sit on the sled and see if the traction rods are centered between the plastic bushings. With your weight I think you will right on. If not put the fra in the stiff position. Having the front shock set stiff keeps the pro action from coupling too soon. Just what has work for me and many of my friends.

yes getting the center shock tight is very important for a good ride on the proactions. A lot of XTC owners install a stiffer center spring, as the stock one is quite weak. I think maxximum performance actually sells a specific kit for this. They are www.maxxperf.com

riverman said:
Try this. Loosen up your limiter strap and remove the front shock. (great tips in the tech area for doing this.) Tighten the preload to maximum setting and reinstall. With the sled on the ground tighten up your limiter straps untill snug and then tighten 1/4inch more. Leave the rear shock and fra in medium position, sit on the sled and see if the traction rods are centered between the plastic bushings. With your weight I think you will right on. If not put the fra in the stiff position. Having the front shock set stiff keeps the pro action from coupling too soon. Just what has work for me and many of my friends.

Thanks I'll try that!

Maybe just me but check and make sure that it is greased. Freind bought a used mxz and the pervious owner never seviced it and it rode like a board till we pulled the suspension( #$%&* ) greased it really well, and reinstalled it. Then it rode great.

well just came in from the garage....tried rivermans suggestion and it seems 100x better..when I sit on it the rods are more in the middle where before it seemed like it was bottoming out.... now it fells like has a suspension at least. Will have to try this out on the trail....thanks for the help.....will also make sure its greased good!!

Back