485 phazer crank beating failure?

nick5oh

Crank bearing failure on mag side, piston top a bit dinged up as well as the head due to some chunks flying around. Crank only turns about 20 degrees. Rods moving still. I took the carb boots and reeds off and I noticed that the boots between carbs and jugs as well as the reeds have no oil residue whatsoever. Bone dry! Is this normal or is she starved for oil? Want to get her rebuilt but want to find the cause of the failure first. Possible oil pump failure? Maybe just oil pump adjustment?
Thanks guys!

If I were you, I would find another motor to thow in your sled. From what you describe you have multiple things that went boom. Most likely not worth rebuilding.

If I were you, I would find another motor to thow in your sled. From what you describe you have multiple things that went boom. Most likely not worth rebuilding.

I hear ya. Most of what we need is reasonably priced. Piston kit, gaskets etc. Have to check on crank rebuild cost though. I believe I used the wrong words.the part that the spark plug screws into (combustion chamber??) has the dings, I have a spare good one to use, the "jug"/cylinder head???(where the piston rides) is still good.

Do you have extra oil in the belly pan? We recently picket up a Phazer that the previous owner guessed the engine hydraulically locked and bent the rod. The engine turns over with a sticky spot. We got it home and saw the extra oil in the belly pan and than the oil line to the mag side off the pump.Keith's Phazer 002.jpg

Back