Mounting GPS on Viper

steveg_nh

I want to mount a Garmin Montana 680T GPS on my Viper for use in northern NH and Maine. I want to use some type of RAM mount, preferably without drilling any holes in the dash for the power wires as I'll be buying a newer sled soon and don't want to leave a trace of the install. I'll be using the Garmin AMPS Rugged Mount.

Has anyone mounted a GPS to their Viper? Where did you do it? Please show some pics if you can, or of any sled for that matter, as it may give me ideas. The Viper has the thick handlebar cushion on it, so mounting to the handlebar seems unlikely.

Also on the electrical, since the Viper is electric start, do I just wire the power direct to the battery? It won't be switched at all that way which I don't love. Is there a place to get switched 12VDC power on a viper that can handle the draw to charge/power the GPS?

Thanks for any tips and advice!

http://sledtoyz.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=9

rock on the 4stroke side sells this power supply witch usually wires into the headlamp highbeam and converts the ac of older 2 stroke sleds into dc. i run one on my et410 and it runs my cell and gps no problem. added bounus is it has rca plugg for heated sheilds on it too.

you could mount the ball for the ram mount to a plate attached to 2 of the handlebar mount bolts. easy to take off later and no holes drilled.

Thanks. Are there are any other options for 12vdc if you don't use that kit you linked to? If not then the battery is the only option I would imagine.

As for mounting the GPS I'm not following you. You mean fabricate a plate so the GPS is mounted right in front of the pad?

I did the same set up as Super1c. Ran power from the battery to a cigarette lighter jack which you can use to power anything (within reason) using the appropriate adaptor. I mounted this jack beside the grip warmer controls on the dash of my SRX. Doubles as my battery charging port so I don't have to dig into the sled to access the battery during storage!

Super1c, awesome sled projects! I love my Viper, even though it's getting up there in age. I figured out the MTN pad thing now. I don't have risers though, so not sure if I can make that work. I bought a nice bracket for the GPS that will charge when it's sitting in it. I will probably go straight to battery. I charge through a CTEK charge port on the battery...piece of cake.

Super1c, awesome sled projects! I love my Viper, even though it's getting up there in age. I figured out the MTN pad thing now. I don't have risers though, so not sure if I can make that work. I bought a nice bracket for the GPS that will charge when it's sitting in it. I will probably go straight to battery. I charge through a CTEK charge port on the battery...piece of cake.

Before I went with the riser bars and still had the stock bars I just added a metal bar across the handlebars under the pad. Then attached the mount to that. The bar for example would kinda be like the one that they use on the Mx pro tapper bars. I just used a galvanised pipe and some pipe strap to bolt to bars.

Oh, I saw those. So those were the stock handlebars? That is a very good idea, and I think my Montana wold fit nicely there...hmm.. Question would be were to find the mountain pad. I found one on eBay, but it's pretty beat up. :( That is a great option though.

Still struggling to figure out where to put it. I got the Montana, and holding it near the dash I think there are only two real options:

1. Just in front of the instrument cluster, between it and the handlbars.
2. Mounted in the middle of the handlebars like Super1c did.

I'm leaning more towards mounting it on the dash in front of the cluster, but there is no way to do it without drilling the console that I can think of. My concerns with mounting it on the wheel is the constant stress on the power cord each time you turn (I guess not much different than all the stock wiring though). I just don't know that I want the GPS right in front of me like that, vs ahead of me (getting older, and a bit farsighted now).

Certainly isn't much room in the dash area of these sleds.

Well, I don't see many options if I don't want it mounted to the handlebars. I'm mounting it to the left of the cluster, and yes, drilling holes. To fit a base in there, I'm using the same mount as the cradle itself, the AMPS base RAM-B-347U. I assume even though it's smaller, with a proper backing plate, it can handle the weight and stress of the GPS on the arm. I hope. :) Hard to fit too many plates in that flat area (of which there are not many of)!

Got it mounted but need to run the cable power wires from next to the cluster to the battery. There is some room between he cluster and panel that I can slip the power wires through, avoiding the need to drill a large hole for the wires/fuse assembly.

How do you get the cluster out though? I can't tell. Is it the two Phillips screws in the back holding it in? They are mounted at a tough angle to get at without taking a whole bunch of parts apart on the hood. Any tips? Thanks!

All done and it came out awesome. I was able to feed the wire through a small opening next to the cluster. Came out great. I used my CTEK charger hook up for power too, using one of their 10' extension cables for power under the hood. Can't wait to hit the trails and keep track of where I've been, average speed, etc.

d29e733fda5b822ac1afb7e9e446f00a.jpg

14e8a8e63eca601dde6be228a23c0250.jpg

8bfac0f0100da14e45ad399ba3a96bd9.jpg

6252d13e7641cb6fd1b941238effdbc5.jpg

2d30c90fc1d19de7f83baf1cb7bf366a.jpg

Thanks for all help guys.

Last edited:

Back