Effect of Roller Size on Clutching

roudyroy1

Looking for some info of how roller size effects your clutching, if someone could share some info that would be great.

reason being, I clutched my 01 sxr 700 (1 engagement shim, 3.6g heal, 4.5g tip. stock weights with a dalton 51/43 helix wrapped @60 degrees w/ green spring. 21/39 gearing 68l chain) and i see between 2000 and 2001 models the clutch roller size is 14.5 and 16mm respectively, i often hear of people recommending the 14.5 rollers with this set up. as far as im concerned the sled is spinning 8350 rpm @wot and the clutches stay luke warm, wondering if i could get anymore out of it with the smaller rollers, but i first must understand how they effect the setup, thanks.

Last edited:

if im pulling 8400 rpm now, is there any point to change to 14mm rollers or will that just throw everything off?

the smaller rollers make the weight act heavier then what it is, by making it a little more aggressive. The smaller rollers lower your rpm, so youd be back to changing weights and possibly springs by changing them. Larger rollers are slightly easier to obtain the a nice shift curve, it can also be done with the small rollers but its all in the tune up. Each has their own gain/loss. If you have the right target rpm and the cool clutchs theres not much else to be had. You gain in one area of clutching but lose in another. in other words if its real aggressive down low and mid then it wont be a super topend set up and the same is said for the other way. Its a give and take with clutching, all in what your doing with sled.

Back