1999 vmax 700 triple deluxe shock questions

madmax357

Hello Guys.

Thought i would come to Experts on this

I have 1999 Vmax 700 triple deluxe my son likes.

I am having trouble finding correct rebuildable shocks for the rear skid.

Bought a Set that everybody says is correct KYB used off ebay

Front rear measures 12 inches rear measures 17.25

Mine measure 13 and 18 or so and are not rebuildabls

So I am going to send the new ones to get rebuilt and The Shock Shop which is a business up north says the 12 and 17 are correct for sled according to chart

The guy i bought them from says they are correct. That i must have wrong shocks on now He says they came of 1997 vmax 700

But now im finding some 18 inchers on ebay off newer models.2002 viper that says fit my vmax 700 deluxe

Will the 12 and 17 fit? Was that correct for my sled. Or find the 13 and 18 that i have Seems everybody has different opinion and i dont know what to do as now im seeing on this site about long travel
Thanks

All ling travel pro action shocks are the same size. Not sure where your measurement variance is comming from. Maybe how measured. Total length vs eye to eye ect. Your VMAX deluxe is long travel so yes those shocks you bought will fit just fine. Have them rebuilt and revolved for his weight and riding ability and it will ride nice.

All ling travel pro action shocks are the same size. Not sure where your measurement variance is comming from. Maybe how measured. Total length vs eye to eye ect. Your VMAX deluxe is long travel so yes those shocks you bought will fit just fine. Have them rebuilt and revolved for his weight and riding ability and it will ride nice.

From what i have heard from some people the 1999 700 vmax deluxe has different shocks then 96-97 vmax and they are saying viper shocks are the same size mine measure 18.25 eyelet to eyelet for rear and 13 for rear front. They say this is shock i need

This is item number on ebay item number 261934621516 YAMAHA GAS REBUILBABLE REAR SHOCK 18.5 INCH 97 98 99 00 01 02 700 600 500 and not this one from here is his quote

truenorthdesigns:
Ok item number
261934621516 is 18.25 to 13.25 is what I just measured. That is the one u need. The SRX one you are looking at here is 12 and 17 same travel. Shorter shock.
Thanks chris
here is the other shock he was talking about Item number 251831193843

these are the ones descriptions of the ones i bought below

What I have up for PURCHASE here is a good used and completely original set of factoryYamaha KYB rechargeable coil over rear suspension gas shocks , just pulled from a 1997 Vmax SX 70 -(2)Yamaha/KYB rechargeable coil over rear suspension "REAR" shocks as shown below. Shocks have a Yamaha part number of 8CH-47480-00-00(REAR) and 8CH-47481-00-00(FRONT

These measure 17.25 rear shock and 12 front rear shock

All i know for sure is my 1999 vmax deluxe needss 18.25 rear and 13 inch front. So confusing, especially if you say they are all the same.

Last edited:
Not sure. But ive worked on a ton of long and short travel proaction skids. Swapped shocks from many different back and forth and all fit. Long travel is long travel and short is short. All parts of these skids interchange except the spacers on the transfer rods (model specific) and limiter straps. also around 2000-2002 yamaha put shorter transfer rods on the SRX and moved them to the inner mounting hole on rail. If they are a yamaha OEM shock from a long travel skid they will fit regardless of the measurement you are coming up with.

If it's too short, which I doubt, it will be too short from eye to eye to mount it. If it's too long, just compress it slightly with a cargo strap.

From what i have heard from some people the 1999 700 vmax deluxe has different shocks then 96-97 vmax and they are saying viper shocks are the same size mine measure 18.25 eyelet to eyelet for rear and 13 for rear front. They say this is shock i need

The Deluxe XT (extended travel) has a long travel skid. The other Vmax's have the short travel skid. The Viper shares the same skid as your Deluxe. So getting Viper shocks will be a simple bolt in.

Last edited:
The Deluxe XT (extended travel) has a long travel skid. The other Vmax's have the short travel skid. The Viper shares the same skid as your Deluxe. So getting Viper shocks will be a simple bolt in.

Great, Now were getting somewhere. So does anybody know if a 1997 Vmax SX 700 was a short track or long track? Thats what he took the rear skid shocks off of that measure 13" amd 17.25" thus being 1 inch short for each shock.

And if that's the case I cant put them on my long track?? Is this correct???

Last edited:
If your looking for an upgrade I have a works performance rear skid shock that came out of a viper then went into my MM skid until the skid came out for a ez-ryde. It was a nice improvement over the steel body. It's 18 3/8" E2E which is the correct length for all the long travel skids

Great, Now were getting somewhere. So does anybody know if a 1997 Vmax SX 700 was a short track or long track? Thats what he took the rear skid shocks off of that measure 13" amd 17.25" thus being 1 inch short for each shock.

The vmax SX was short travel like the srx, the regular vmax was long travel.

You can use the shocks but you will lose the XT of your Deluxe XT sled.
Just to prevent some confusion "long track" and "extended travel" are not the same. Long track would refer to any sled with a track longer than the standard (121). The extended travel will refer to the shock package, ie.. longer shocks and limiter straps.

you can use the shorter shocks on your skid but youwill have to shorten up the limiter straps. I would get the long travel ,aluminum .,rebuildibles an put them in....always make sure when you buy shocks that they are rebuildible! and wheather they are long travel or short travel shocks for your sled! you don't want sx 700 shocks ..,,they are short travel!

Last edited:

Back