Trailing Arm Bushing on a Viper

phazernut

I started out to change the RH trailing arm today. The previous owner had damaged it and repaired it. It looked like crap so I has to be changed. I bought and aftermarket Arm online and it looks great. When I tried to install the rear bushing it will not go in. The bushing appears to be too big. It is only marginally large. Is there a trick to getting these in? Or did i get a crappy part that wont work. I couldnt get the original bushing out of the Arm so I picked up a new one at the dealer.

Still no luck. Had the bushing in the freezer all night and heated the arm with a heat gun and it will still not fit. I'm starting to the the aftermarket Trailing arm is crap.

I had the same issue with the trailing arms i bought from Royal on my vmax 700 when i redid it years ago. i just ground/filed the outside of the new Yamaha bushing until i could just get it to sit approx 1/4" or so in the trailing arm removed it then I added some grease and pressed it in on my bench vise. worked for me

You save yourself a lot of money doing this way compared to the OEM part with the bushing installed. when i did ours the OEM was like $300 each with the bushing.

Last edited:
I paid a machine shop to do a similar project on Wifeys Polaris skid. New bushing couldnt be bought. They pressed out the old bushing, made a new bushing and pressed it in. $60.00. Fit even better than original.

Back