Oil Pump Adjustment

merc9193

How do you adjust the oil pump on a 02 viper. I read it has to be at 21mm or something. I can't find the post. I got my sleds running they started right up but smoked a lot. let them run for 5 minutes still smoke a lot. like a cloud coming from them. I'm assuming they shouldn't even though I raised the needles the 4 groove down. How much slack should the choke cable have?

The fist thing you need to do is set the throttle free play. Set it so that the flipper has 1 to 2 mm of free play between the flipper up against the base as compared to when you start to feel the flipper pulling the throttle cable. You need this set so that your TORS will operate correctly, and before setting your oil pump.

Next it to adjust the oil pump cable. You're actually setting the gap between the turnbuckle side of the cable and the other end of the cable that usually sits in the recess of the turnbuckle. First pull back the dust cover. Next back off the locknut that's holding the turnbuckle from rotating. Next, pull the cable up away from the engine. This will create the gap I mentioned. Next, rotate the turnbuckle so to have a 20.5+-1mm gap. Release your pull on cable so the gap disappears and the other end retracts back into the turnbuckle recess (make sure it doesn't get hooked on a corner). Lock the turnbuckle down with the locknut. Put the dust cover back in position.

I would set this to stock and let it be.

This is pretty hard to visualize without a picture. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture for this one.

Hope this helps.

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/...h-or-lean?highlight=Viper+oil+pump+adjustment

Post #9 by daman is perfect. Do not pay any attention to how much oil per tank of gas you use within reason. Yea you want to be close but these pumps are variable depending on how hard on throttle you are so it is hard to get the 1QT per tank of gas without screwing up your engine. (voice of experience) Just set between 20-22 and let it be. Make sure your using oil and all good.

Back