2002 Viper wont rev over 4k

ChromeCobra

Hey all, I took my 02 Viper yesterday for the first time this season and i'm having an odd problem and I'm hoping someone here can help.

The sled starts and idles fine but it will not rev past 4k RPMS. Even if I give it full throttle it wont go past 4k rpms and its very sluggish (at times doesn't even have enough power to move with me on it). The tach/gauge cluster keeps flickering along with the taillight and it seems to be running super rich.

The top end was rebuilt last year, the carbs are clean, powervalves are clean, new plugs and the clutches are clean/work fine...I've already bypassed TORs and that didn't change anything.

I believe the problem could be the stator/flywheel..? There was quite a bit of surface rust on the flywheel, do you guys think that could affect anything?

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:

sounds like a common torrs issue, but is you have eliminated that and the carbs are clean. i would start by taking the surface rust off the PU magnets on the flywheel and taking a resistance reading. any signs of mice building a nest in the exhaust or chewing wires?

sounds like a common torrs issue, but is you have eliminated that and the carbs are clean. i would start by taking the surface rust off the PU magnets on the flywheel and taking a resistance reading. any signs of mice building a nest in the exhaust or chewing wires?

No signs of mice or bad wires, I will triple check the wiring today though..I ended up ordering a new stator and cleaned up the flywheel real good, hopefully the stator gets here soon.

its the harness that's under the engine that runs up to the hood hinge area that rubs and causes most of the problems you describe. You have to remove airbox, unplug harness at hood hinge, tie on a piece of string about 4-5ft long at hood hinge plugs on harness, then bend over the little clamps under the exhaust and front of engine. Go over by recoil and unplug the stator and pick up coil harness in the big black rubber shields, then grab harness by there and pull it back out and up, youll find the problem, very common issue.

its the harness that's under the engine that runs up to the hood hinge area that rubs and causes most of the problems you describe. You have to remove airbox, unplug harness at hood hinge, tie on a piece of string about 4-5ft long at hood hinge plugs on harness, then bend over the little clamps under the exhaust and front of engine. Go over by recoil and unplug the stator and pick up coil harness in the big black rubber shields, then grab harness by there and pull it back out and up, youll find the problem, very common issue.

Thank you for the reply.

I pulled the harness last night and and inspected it and did not find anything wrong with it at all.

since you have it out, lay it over top the engine and plug it back in, start it up and wiggle the harness see if it does same thing

also, is this a std viper or the er with electric start and reverse??

Replaced the stator and cleaned up the flywheel, the issue im having is still there. The sled starts up good and idles good too, I did notice as it's idling if I squeeze the brake lever or turn on the hi-beam the tachometer turns off/resets and does a full sweep, then goes back to normal.

Replaced the stator and cleaned up the flywheel, the issue im having is still there. The sled starts up good and idles good too, I did notice as it's idling if I squeeze the brake lever or turn on the hi-beam the tachometer turns off/resets and does a full sweep, then goes back to normal.

then theres a short in the harness going up to the hood, I know you said you checked it but you need to inspect every wire, as somewhere between the plugs for the stator and up to the hood hinge that harness has a chaff and it is touching 2 wires together. a lot of times the wires will be just worn thru the insulation and a single strand of copper will touch the other and cause the problem, its messy always but its where the problem is when you talk about the high/low beam headlight making tach reset is the for sure tale I see in the center harness chaff.

Back