2002 SX Viper - Gas Leaking from Exhaust

Dryrub

I cleaned my carbs out a month ago and the sled ran great, no gas leaking from exhaust etc. I start the sled a month later (a few days ago) and there is gas leaking from the exhaust J pipe while the sled was idling. Lots of gas.

I removed the exhaust and poured out the gas that was still in the J pipe. I pulled the plugs and cranked the motor to see if there was any remaining fuel in the cylinders, but it was clean. I then put it back together and restarted. No gas leaked after that. I let it warm up for a while confirmed no gas leaking, and took it out for a ride. Ran perfectly. No issues or gas leaking what-so-ever when I returned, let it idle for a while and then shut off.

I know this could be a stuck float or needle not seating on the carb, but was it just a fluke and it was stuck initially since it's the first time i started it in over a month and since the weather has been pretty cold? What do you all suggest? Remove carb and check, or leave it be? Like I said, it's running great with no issues now or fuel leaking.

likely had somthin under the needle and seat and it lets it fill up, if it was up on a high jackstand it makes it worse also. if its running ok I wouldn't worry about it much. if it happens agin, youll need to pull the rack and inspect the float, needle and seat.

Thanks mrviper. By the way, I used your Carb Cleaning "how to" and found it to be very helpful as well as your other tech articles. Thanks again for your reply.

Back