03 yamaha viper backfiring. Think I need a crank

yeah, I would try the stator long before I jumped to the crank being bad. not a real common failure. whats the conditions when it backfires?

Also check your rotor keystock, it could be sheared and causing timing issues. I had a similar issue where the previous owner didn't tightened the rotor enough and forgot to put the keyway.

very simple to check if your crank is out of phase, simply remove all 3 spark plugs, then using a long handled screwdriver that will fit thru spark plug hole. Take off clutch cover. Now starting with first cylinder put screwdriver in spark plug hole and rotate engine via clutch till the piston is at top dead center, the screwdriver will be at its highest point. Now go down to the clutch and take a permanent marker and make a mark on the clutch at around 12 o clock. Then move to the center, same thing, then move to the mag cylinder same thing.
Now get a cloth measuring tape and you should have 3 marks all equally spaced on the primary clutch if the crank is correct, if not then its out of phase and will need to be retrued and welded. The factory welds the rod pins on the viper cranks but the center lower pins are not welded.

Back