Need information on the 2003 mountain max

jthemmer

I found one I am interested in but it's a few hundred miles away. So I was asking some questions on it and the owner said it electronically compensates the fuel ratio for altitude. Did the 2003 have something weird here I didn't know about? Sounds kind of like a vari flow but he said it's completely stock. I think it would need to be jetted for the mountains correct?

Sounds like he has an atacc on it but it's not electronic. The 600 twin of the late 90's had altitude compensating "smart carbs" on it but that system was never carried over to the 600/700 triple. It should have been jetted/clutched for the altitude it was going to be ridden in at the time of dealer delivery. If your going to change the altitude significantly after you buy it then you would want to set up jetting, clutching and gearing for your new altitude.

Okay that's what I thought. I assume someone told him something like that and he believed it. He said it's been to the mountains once. Should I fear a little top end damage if he rode it not properly jetted? Or are the redheads that good that I shouldn't worry?

I live in New England so all my jetting is based at sea level. What kind of altitude do you live at, what altitude does he live at and what are your mountains at? Jetting gets richer as altitude increases. The atacc compensates for altitude by changing the pressure difference between the carb throats and bowls to have the effect of smaller jets. The tempaflow does the same thing but doesn't have the altitude adjustment. If it has an atacc and it was set up correctly there shouldn't be a problem. They are jet for the coldest you expect to ride at the lowest altitude you will ride at and leans it out from there.

Back