Loose Trailing Arm

4wealn

Hey guys, I was out for my first rip today and at one of my stops I tapped the right side trailing arm to get some snow off my boot and noticed it was moving. After more detailed inspection, the bolt holding the back side by where your foot would rest was tight but the rivets are all moving slightly. Looks like there are about 10 rivets. Has anyone ever seen this before. The other side nice and tight.
To fix this do I just drill out the rivets and replace with new ones, or is there more to this than meets the eye.
If all I need to do is replace the rivets, what size would they be.
Thanks in advance guys.
Happy sledding.

Easy as new rivets. The rivets are big structural rivets and any dealer can get them but you need a air riveter to pull them. Any harbor freight type for $40 is fine. Or guys have used good grade 8 bolts.

Ran into this with my first 97, believe they straightened this out with later models. But the 1/4 rivets require bigger gun than most can access. Better solution is to go down local hardware pick up some SS bolts/screws, nylock nuts, and or lock washers, red locktite. Drill out the old rivets and replace, should never have that issue again.

Agree with CherryP.
If it is a 97 they had that problem. I used 1/4 inch truss-head stainless screws and nuts, but you could use washers and regular stove bolts or even hex head. It has taken a lot of use and abuse since then with no problem.

Stainless is nice but it's not nearly as strong as any grade of steel. The lack of carbon to make it rust resistant makes it weak.

For anyone considering using stainless, some internet browsing will show that commonly available stainless bolts are about grade 2 and standard hardware store plated steel bolts are grade 1. Higher strength stainless bolts are available.

Back