01 SRX Worn out?

pete_man26

Hi all,

Last night I decided to my preseason check on my SRX, I know it's a little late but I've been busy. I've owned the sled for 8 years and when I bought I did a complete rebuild top to bottom but reused the existing cylinders. When I bought the sled there was 23000kms on it, 8 years later I'm guessing its around the 30000kms+. Still the same since I rebuilt it. I pulled the manifolds off last night had a look through the exhaust ports and noticed all 3 cylinders look to have scoring on the intake side. I've been reading all last night and this morning a few of Mrviper posts about gradual power loss and preventing damage by doing the work early enough.

My questions are with this many miles is it safe to say that the Nikasil is worn off? Typically use it for 3000-4000ft lake racing the past 8 years.
Rough guess on power loss over the years 5-10%?
Should I just redo the top end now? I have rings but should I go with cylinders and pistons too?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'm 95% sure I'm going to tear it down now after reading on here for hours.

Thanks all!

you cant tell anything till you take it apart and inspect and check clearances. If the nicasil is worn thru it will be dull from aluminum showing thru. measure your piston skirts about 10mm up from bottom of skirt and see what they measure vs your bore on cylinders.

you cant tell anything till you take it apart and inspect and check clearances. If the nicasil is worn thru it will be dull from aluminum showing thru. measure your piston skirts about 10mm up from bottom of skirt and see what they measure vs your bore on cylinders.

I have a caliper and micrometer, do I need a bore gauge to do the cylinders? I might be able to find one in my dad's tool box. (ex millwright)

Back