Oil Pump Cable Adjustment ??

carey

I installed a set of risers and longer cables from Power Madd. For the oil pump, my owners manual calls for 22 mm of free play when you pull the cable housing out of the adjuster. With Power Madd cables, they housing doesn't pull out of the adjuster.

I called Power Madd and they said to adjust the new cable housing so the same amount of inner cable sticks out of the housing as the old cable. The old cable measured 72 mm sticking out of the housing. The longest I can get the new cable is 65mm, or 7 m too short.

Eyeballing the movement of the oil pump arm with both cables, it appears that both cables open the oil pump fully. In my mind, the Power Madd cable is slightly shorter and pulls the oil pump open slightly more, or at least the same as the old cable.

My question is, how sensitive are the oil pumps to cable adjustment? Is too short going to pump in too much oil?

I'm thinking, as long as I get blue smoke in the exhaust, and not fouling plugs (assuming the jetting is correct), I should be OK.

Rule of thumb is 1 qt perfect tank of gas. I never trusted those extenders, always used the MTN cables and adj is the same. Watch your plugs and oil close untill you are sure your adjustment is right. There are variable oil pumps to the Qt per tank is a ball park +/-. Watch plugs and piston wash. And these pumps are sensitive to very small changes.

Super1c,

Thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye on things. I probably order a MTN cable for peace of mind, but I don't look forward to another oil cable install. What a PITA. I didn't mind pulling the airbox and carbs, but removing the center rear motor mount seems like a poor maintenance idea. I have a tendancy to drop bolts taking things apart and to date, I've lost 2 airbox screws and one motor mount bolt. Never to be seen again. Even fishing with a magnet was unsuccessful.

Is there supposed to be some type of insulation under the motor? Or did some critter make a nest?

Super1c,

Thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye on things. I probably order a MTN cable for peace of mind, but I don't look forward to another oil cable install. What a PITA. I didn't mind pulling the airbox and carbs, but removing the center rear motor mount seems like a poor maintenance idea. I have a tendancy to drop bolts taking things apart and to date, I've lost 2 airbox screws and one motor mount bolt. Never to be seen again. Even fishing with a magnet was unsuccessful.

Is there supposed to be some type of insulation under the motor? Or did some critter make a nest?

Ahhh critter made a nest! If ya start having weird electric issues you will know why!

Like super1c already stated, these triples burn around 50:1
So every 10L of gas is 200ml of oil. My sled follows that ratio perfectly with every tank. I know how much gas I burnt based on the amount of oil I need to add to the reservoir.

Last edited:
Update. I wasn't comfortable with the adjustment capability of the longer PoweMadd cables. These cable were about 6" longer than OEM Venture, but the inner cable wasn't as long.

As super1c suggested the mountain max cable would work. Looking at cable routing diagrams in my service manual confirmed this. The Moutain Max and SRX cables go around the airbox and not over the top. Also, the handlebars seemed a little wider than Venture bars.

I just finished installing a Mountain Max oil pump cable. It was about 3" longer than OEM Venture cable and had the same range of adjustment. I now know that my oil pump is correctly adjusted.

While I had the carbs out, I removed a mouse nest from under the engine block. It was mostly fiberglass insulation and steel wool.

Back