Wtf??? Have never heard of this happening

Srx007

SO, was visiting with my dad over the weekend and convinced him to fire up his sled 04 F6 efi, which started 3rd pull and ran flawlessly, as it does. While we were talking he reminded me of the time last season we started his sled around the same time but it did NOT run flawlessly. Instead it started revving really high, we thought oh no. Dad turned the key switch to off and to our surprise sled kept running.....first time we both had that happen, we looked at each other with odd looks, shrugged, he took the key out of the ignition while I hit the KILL SWITCH. SLED KEPT RUNNING.... Ok now we started to panic, wtf is going on, pulled the killswitch up and tried again, nothing, Dad grabbed the brake and we un hitched the hood he yelled at me 'Yank the plug cap' I thought F that knowing which kind of jolt they give ( he played a nasty little trick on me back in the 90s with his 89 phazer I held the plug cap while he pulled the cord OUCH, I almost killed him...) Well I yanked the cap, received the jolt, and received the satisfaction the sled was burbling while loosing rpm. We waited 5 min to try again with the same result. Now we were really wierded out. We checked for air leaks around the carb boots (keeping in mind this sled is efi) none, kill switch worked according to a continuity check, key switch worked according to a continuity check, so WTH?? We didn't go much further after that cuz my dad had a sneaky suspicion....He noticed he had less than half of the fuel he did when he put the sled away, though he knew what the problem was, filled the tank up with fresh fuel started the sled, of which about a min went by the sled came back to normal rpms. Said he thought the gas evaporated which left him with a rich mixture of FUEL STABILIZER. We didnt touch it after that, I thought this sled was going to blow next time he took it out. Well that season he put 2k kilometers on it without 1 hiccup. GO FIGURE. Claim he didn't bring it to dealer to have a once over. Oh btw, he did store his sled out doors that year. Any thouhgts. I would NOT have believe that story if I had not been there with him and I DEF wouldn't take the time posting this.

I had that happen with a dirt bike once, it revved like crazy, kill switch wouldn't kill it, I yanked the fuel line off and a few seconds later it died. I got some shitty fuel full of water, cleaned the tank and carb out, put some new gas in and it never did it again. maybe you had water in the gas.

We had an odd one once it didn't happen from a start up though. 92 Indy Trail we were running wide open belt blew and the motor was stuck wide open! spark plug caps pulled, gas turned off and she was screaming! we thought it was going to blow! the clutch was so well balanced it ran like that for about 3 solid minutes before it idled back down!! sled still runs great to this day.

Huh, never thought it may have been running off the clutch, interesting, kinda like a flywheel. In the previous posts theses sleds and small engines have CARBS, I never thought it possible on an EFI sled. Maybe this showa how volitile fuel stabilizer is.

Got one better than that.We were going to go out for a ride with the girls and they went out first while we were gearing up.Buddys wife came back in with a strange look on her face stating that her sled was stuck in reverse!We both yelled your sled does not have reverse!!!!Well sure enough the old wildcat would only back up when given any gas turned out to be a bad cdi if I remember right.

LOL thats a great one....That reminds me of a time I watched my dad, again, it was a 76 yz 250 I think, Line up with us, we were out on the snowmobile trails with our bikes dumped the clutch and WHAM ricochet off his handle bars :bump:, of course we turned around and couldnt believe the bike was running in reverse. After a good laugh we Shut it off played with the stator a bit and off we went

I can remembe having an old skidoo elan. We ended up putting wheels o the front instead of skis. Being the crafty kids we were. But it did not last for long. My brother and I were bombing around on the grass and the primary clutch actually went faster then were were. Lol. Came right off and away it went. Ahhh the good old days.....

Back