Possible red head 600 engine burn down

RB2001SRX700

Lifetime Member
Okay this is what I have so far to share. Sled ran fine. Origanal carbs had fatter jets in it. Figured that was for where they were riding. Vermont. After cleaning carbs found out one of the float bowl mounts were broken. I got another set of 31 carbs cleaned and put jets back to stock. Started sled ran fine on stand had smoke from exhaust. Checked oil cable length was set at factory. With this current snow I was able to ride it around the yard ran fine no issues. No flashing trouble lights. Took the sled down the driveway RPM's came up to 9000. Let off didn't hold it there. Figured okay I have some clutching work to do. My son wanted a ride so we started off everything fine. He wanted to go through the woods. No problem. Running maybe 10 mph. Engine dies out. I got off and looked at the clutch and was able to turn it by hand fairly easy. Look up and thought I hit the kill switch.started sled ran down trail again maybe 60 feet sled died out again. Lost all power. This time clutch felt tight trying to rotate it. Spinning clutch back and forth I could now feel like a tight spot rotating the clutch. Towed back to garage and pulled plugs. They were new so not much to look at but from what I see they are brownish in color. Not white. No metal. No chunks. Pulled exhaust off and looked at Pistons. I could see a tiny bit of scoring marks. Nothing deep. Motor is still hard to turn with no plugs or exhaust on it. My guess would be connecting rod bearing. Or rings. Maybe with stock jets it leaned it out?

Sorry for for the long winded report. Wanted to put I as much detail as possible.

Yeah found a good used motor and popped it in last weekend. Seems to run fine so far. Still working on what appears to be some type of resistance when first taking off. But like was stated in another post it could be the new dual Skaggs and slides. Everything else has been looked at. Migh have to adjust deflection a tiny tiny bit. Might be just enough to start off in second gear so to speak.

Back