98 XTC 600 Deluxe twin temp/coolant issue

Jeffz

VIP Member
I picked up a nice 600 XTC Deluxe for my girlfriend this year. After our first ride of about 30 miles, the temp light came on. Luckily we were just pulling into my yard. Coolant tank was empty so I filled it and warmed it up, filled upper hose, bleed air, etc. and repeat. It now seems to come on randomly on the trail so I've been bringing coolant with me and filling it through the pressure cap. I can't seem to find any leaks although there was coolant under the sled last time but that may have been from overflow or spillage. I was thinking of replacing the thermostat but I can't seem to find it in the parts fiche. Also, does anyone have suggestions to why it keeps overheating? Or any other suggestions for checking the coolant system?

Its leaking out or your burning it. If all the hoses are tight and the heat exchangers are intact you have a head gasket leak or water pump leak.....possibly an air bubble but not likely if you have put more than a qt or so in the system since your issue started

Hey Jeff, if the water is getting into cylinder because you need a head gasket, you should see a lot of white smoke coming out your exhaust. I would start by pressure testing your coolant system and seeing if you have any leaks. If you pressure test it and your pressure starts to drop, you have a leak some where. Check all your hoses for leaks, check all hose clamps, check around the water pump to see if the gasket is leaking any place around the entire water pump. Also check around the heat exchanger. If you can't see any leaks and your still loosing pressure during the test, it's most likely a blown head gasket. I hope this helps find your problem

It's been a few weeks. I replaced the base and head gaskets. It's still loosing coolant somewhere. Road last night and today and the temp light came on once last night and a bunch today. I've been bringing coolant with me and filling it through the cap. I took the water pump off tonight and everything was good there. No idea where it's going!

I could be from one of the heat exchangers. I have no idea other than look for damage, rise the sled and put a white blanket under it and let it idle and look for leaks.

Back