600 redhead gasket mod

RB2001SRX700

Lifetime Member
So what is the benefit of taking the middle layer out on the head gasket? I know it will lower your sqish and up compression. But is there enough gain to warrant the work? What kind of real world experiences have you guys had?

I gained about 7 to 8 psi per cylinder. But I rebuilt my clutchs with new guts, changed my helix for a multi angle, notched my reed stoppers, and removed my starter ring gear all at once. So I can't really say how much power that mod made by it self. It is much more responsive as a complete package though.

Last edited:
I thought you only needed the notches on the 500's. Hummm might be an update I will be doing if it helps.

Yes all redhead triples are supposed to benefit from the spacer or stopper notches mod. Even Mrviper recommends it.

As fare as the head gasket mod, it comes down to getting a bit more mechanical or volumetric efficiency out of your engine. Better compression and more fine tune squish always leads to more power, better fuel economy, better emissions, better throttle response.

That's why all new cars and trucks run atleast 10.5 :1 and even the Mazda sky active run crazy 13:1 compression ratio on pump gas! Ofcourse not just cars but all modern engines in general like, snowmobiles, outboards, atvs, snowblowers etc....All run higher compression ratios then their older predecessors for for the same reason.

More compression = more efficiency

Last edited:
Now I kinda wish I did the gasket mod before I put the motor in. Oh well. I also been reading that the venoms get 10 mpg. Anyone else seen this. Just curious as to what to expect.

put in reed spacers and leave the reed cage alone, run a single layer on the head gasket and they are more responsive

Back