WOT run ends in clutch exploding

Wow. That's crazy! What the hell happen?

This clutch had over 30,000km on it. Lack of maintenance could have been cause but honestly it didn't seem to fail from a wear point so who knows. I have a spare clutch and hood from my venture parts sled to go on. Sucks i gota order in new weights to put it back to what it was though.

Wow You're very lucky you didn't get hurt, especially without having a cover. Had a comet clutch to that on my 95vmax 600 with twin GYTR pipes. Mine took out my secondary as well. I was lucky not to loose a toe or my foot. Parts came thru the foot well. My clutch had a bushing that was to thin from comet which heated up and then exploded, Comet ended up paying for all the damages.

Last edited:
I would throw a dial indicator on that pto stub. I bet its way the hell out of spec after an explosion like that.

^^exactly what I was going to suggest. Better check that run off , if i recall anything under 3 thousands is acceptable but I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.

Also make sure you put that guard back on before you run it again, it's there for a reason.

Are you sure the secondary had no damage?? I can't believe all that shrapnel didn't hit the 2ndary.

^^exactly what I was going to suggest. Better check that run off , if i recall anything under 3 thousands is acceptable but I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.

Also make sure you put that guard back on before you run it again, it's there for a reason.

Are you sure the secondary had no damage?? I can't believe all that shrapnel didn't hit the 2ndary.
only damage to secondary was one of the little sliders got hit and chunked off half of it. you can kinda see in pic. I have spares and full secondary if needed. I may put an indicator on it but im not too worried tbh

Well, I wouldnt expect that motor to live very long after that and with that many miles. I was working on an SRX today and when I went to pull the clutch the bolt was loose. I had to think about it for a while. Then I remember the owner telling me he was chasing a vibration. He told me the guy who built the sled said the pto was out .006. Make sure to check the torque on your clutch bolt every few miles.
It looks as though you have notched weights in the new clutch?? Or are they just that worn?

Well, I wouldnt expect that motor to live very long after that and with that many miles. I was working on an SRX today and when I went to pull the clutch the bolt was loose. I had to think about it for a while. Then I remember the owner telling me he was chasing a vibration. He told me the guy who built the sled said the pto was out .006. Make sure to check the torque on your clutch bolt every few miles.
It looks as though you have notched weights in the new clutch?? Or are they just that worn?

Worn. Rollers and bushings are bad too but sheaves and the rest are in nice shape so il be rebuilding it.

Back