2000 srx 700 clutching help please

Chetsummer

After many years of missing my old srx 700 - 1999 that is , I found myself a 2000 srx with 1368 miles on it , this sled has vforce 3 reeds , bender cold air kit , bender silencer - man I missed that sound ! Also bender quick rods , heel clickers in primary , Team secondary , studded with 192 in stock track , have not checked gearing yet , rode it around for a little bit this eve for the first time to feel it out , seemed to run pretty darn good as expected , belt looks very good - belt deflection good , so after riding I'm not that impressed really - I know my 99 would have out ran this one for sure ! Now I def had the 99 dialed but it's been so long that I have forgotten my set up , now my 99 dynoed at 158 hp with some minor porting and piston mods but I was expecting this 2000 to run a little better , not real happy with the mid and top end , should I go back to old school secondary and stock primary weights or try to mess with the team secondary and HC weights ? To be honest I'm lost with the stuff that's in it and don't know where to begin , rpm hits 8500 right now and then settles down to 8400 , pulled the Team secondary off and to see what it looked like and have no idea where to go from here ! From the part number on the back -LW420491 should be a 48/50 helix ? Also I have not pulled the primary apart yet to see what they have in it for weights , should I just go back to stock primary weights and converter so I can go with what I know ? Please advise 👍

ditch that secondary fast for the stock yamaha one. 3:16x (yammie tony)

I know it's not cheap to play with set up ! And nobody has springs and helix just laying around either ! It's kinda weird though I have searched all over and can't find a single person that has heel clickers and a Team secondary , TSS-04 on a srx , also by the part number the chart says this helix is for a sled with reverse , so I'm thinking I should ditch this secondary and find a stock one I guess

Last edited:
if its got heel clickers in the front then all you need to get it going good is a button secondary clutch(stock) and a 50/36 or 51/37 helix with green dot Yamaha sec spring. I will give you a set up to put in it once you get those parts.

take the front apart, should be a long red primary spring, and see how the weights are set up, you want heel weight, empty center hole and a lot of tip weight.

Thanks Mr Viper I will get a button secondary and the helix and green spring, is that spring all green ? And I will def get back to you on the primary after I get what you said to get - thanks !!

Last edited:
Also I looked at the front but did not take apart yet as I can't find my Yamaha clutch puller , going to have to get another I guess but I did see it had a silver primary spring in it currently

ya, your gonna want to call up super torque and get a red primary spring for it, like $20-25. if you don't have the extra hardware for the weights you might wanna ask them for that as well as youll likely need to add weight to the arms.

the secondary spring is all black with a green dot, it is a oem Yamaha spring. The helix youll need to get aftermarket, I like the Dalton helix the best but you could also get a advantedge from ulmer racing, tell him the angles you want and he will have one that will match up. you need to call ulmer racing. they are listed on this site as a advertiser

ya, your gonna want to call up super torque and get a red primary spring for it, like $20-25. if you don't have the extra hardware for the weights you might wanna ask them for that as well as youll likely need to add weight to the arms.

the secondary spring is all black with a green dot, it is a oem Yamaha spring. The helix youll need to get aftermarket, I like the Dalton helix the best but you could also get a advantedge from ulmer racing, tell him the angles you want and he will have one that will match up. you need to call ulmer racing. they are listed on this site as a advertiser

Ok thanks bud I'm on it 👍

Ok thanks bud I'm on it ��

Mr Viper , I found a local guy with a bunch of used parts , he has a like new button secondary off a Viper he said he would trade me for the Team secondary , should I just trade him or keep this one and just buy his ? I would like to do some 660 grass and ice drags and didn't know if these were any good for that ? Also I should note that I'm currently just looking for a good aggressive all around set up for now - thanks again

I would trade him, likely easy for both of you, then all you need is a helix and spring. the team sec only brings about a $100 on the market, they were not that popular due to the high spring pressure used and the difficulty and cost of changing helixs.

you get that helix and spring and the set up will work for trail or lake running, it backshifts nice but will haul the mail, youll be impressed

I would trade him, likely easy for both of you, then all you need is a helix and spring. the team sec only brings about a $100 on the market, they were not that popular due to the high spring pressure used and the difficulty and cost of changing helixs.

you get that helix and spring and the set up will work for trail or lake running, it backshifts nice but will haul the mail, youll be impressed

Awesome - thanks

Ok Mr Viper I have the stock secondary now and the springs you said to get , ordered the 50/36 helix , ordered the hardware kit for the heel clickers , what should I run for weight in the heel clickers now ? Thanks

Back