02 SRX finally takes a bullet

bluemonster1

LIFE MEMBER ONLY ONCE!!!
sled ran good last season.Went throughout the whole sled prior to this season start.Carbs cleaned entirely,changed jetting to 2001 specs because my light was coming on last season in some wot pulls.Clutch's all cleaned and checked over All new springs in primary and secondary.Premium fuel fresh.Adjusted all power valves and added new o-rings to housing because last season oil would spit out of housing when started up.Checked track tension,removed studs from 144 to 96 now.Checked bearings through out as well the driveshaft and jackshaft bearings.Took it out to ride along the Hwy ditch for a few miles and she was running great,hitting 80 like nothing.Turned around and went the other direction to the river to have a look to see if any sled tracks on it.Freeze up came late and no one was on the river yet.Noticed my idle is running to high and adjusted it down.Pinned it in deep snow ,dug down and a loud noise came from clutch side and sled stopped.What the hell,opened hood and found secondary stuck wide open.Moved belt and turned secondary until belt was back up and down in primary.I have never seen this happen before... Got home no problem.Still idling high,so turned the screw to get to it idle around 1500-1600.Re set the TPs properly.Started it up to run down the farmers field and back.Stopped in yard,still running fine,shut it off and wanted to restart it to see where the idle was and it wouldn't fire up right away and when it did I could hear one cylinder not firing. What
the hell now I thought.Pulled the plug mag side and no difference.Did it for the other two.It was mag side.Took plug out and checked piston top looks good and plug looks good.Took compression reading and got 60 PSI and thought what is this all about.Stared it up again to drive to to my shed,was running a little better and the pipe was getting warm to. Reved it up and sounded not to bad,but can hear something is not right.This happened two weeks ago,been way to cold here to even go work on it.If rings went,probably scored cylinder and piston damaged.Will wait to Spring to open it up.
At least I got my 600 running again with top end rebuild after one season of sitting.I am now looking for a 4 stroke since prices are coming down,will part out my SRX most probably as I won't spend any more $$$ on these old sleds.Can locate 4 stroke sleds here for $4500 to $5000.
Sure disappointing anyways with what happened here with the SRX. That's life!!!!!!!

Sorry bud!! Sucks but it happens. My little brother has 10000 miles on his srx before it took a shit. Its the life of a 2stroke, shit happens.

I'm not to sad about it.It is an old sled already.Nothing lasts forever unless one has an endless supply of cash to keep them going.
Right.. the 4 strokers are great for durability as long as you leave them stock :).. start adding boost and the problems start to creep up on you.

Sorry to here your sled is sick.
That sled has been responsible for a lot of posts, over a lot of years, on this forum! I am sure we have not heard the last of your SRX.
SSB

Sorry to hear this blue, sideshow is right though. This forum would lose a great thread starter lol.

Good luck in the fix, as you know you won't sell it.....

putting some thought into it,depends on what damage was done.Will open her up in the Spring.As for 4 stroke sleds,a lot of them for sale now and good prices..tempting....

Last edited:

Back