Electronics / timing question

shigawaker

My sled is a 2001 SRX and I've been forced to use a sxviper crank. The engine is rebuilt and I am currently using a viper stator which had to be shimmed out for proper placement. The spark seems to be strong.

When I pulled it over after the rebuild it tried to fire but immediately pulled the cord from my hands. I've eliminated all of the non timing/electronics related components and was wondering if anyone knew if the flywheels for the viper were different and if a viper CDI box would be needed for it run? Either of which that could throw the timing enough to not only keep it from starting but "backfire" and stop the pull cord?

Thank you in advance for your help

Last edited:

the crank wouldn't make a difference, they will interchange. The stator between a 2000-02 srx and a viper of 2002-05 are the same also, so I am unsure why it would need to be shimmed as there the same. is this a aftermarket stator or a oem Yamaha one? If it yanks the pull cord from your hand then theres a timing problem and the pick up coil is located in the wrong position altering the ign. timing. Need some more detailed information as to what you have put together there to tell what the problem is.

the crank wouldn't make a difference, they will interchange. The stator between a 2000-02 srx and a viper of 2002-05 are the same also, so I am unsure why it would need to be shimmed as there the same. is this a aftermarket stator or a oem Yamaha one? If it yanks the pull cord from your hand then theres a timing problem and the pick up coil is located in the wrong position altering the ign. timing. Need some more detailed information as to what you have put together there to tell what the problem is.

It is in fact an aftermarket stator and pickup coil (old pickup is faulty) but the new pickup coil doesn't have the indentations which put the pickup in its exact position. My original stator still makes power so I will reinstall it to eliminate that as the problem.
As for the pickup I have placed it in the same position within 1 mm of the old one with approximately the same air gap. I had originally advanced it by 3mm but have since gone back to the stock placement. I was told that 1mm was approximately 1 deg? How far out would the pickup coil have to be to cause this?

Thanks again

Last edited:
I can tell you only my expeience with aftermarket stators, they are junk............... I have had sleds come in for repairs and the guy buys the aftermarket stuff, it usually comes back in short order or never gets to leave until the oem unit is replaced back in from numerous problems like rough running, wont start at all, to low dim lights, surging,etc,nothing but problems.

As you likely found out, you can not buy just the pick up coil from Yamaha and have to purchase a whole stator to get it. The timing is off from the position of the coil in relative to the clocking spot, meaning you must have it further up or lower then original. This could be from the holes in the aftermarket base. Most times when the engine tries to rip the recoil from your hands its retarded ign timing, if enough, the engine can actually start backwards rotation....lol

In all honesty, I would save your self a bunch of grief and either get a known good used oem Yamaha unit or just bite the bullet and buy the oem Yamaha stator assembly, your time and down time has got to be worth something to ya.

I can tell you only my expeience with aftermarket stators, they are junk............... I have had sleds come in for repairs and the guy buys the aftermarket stuff, it usually comes back in short order or never gets to leave until the oem unit is replaced back in from numerous problems like rough running, wont start at all, to low dim lights, surging,etc,nothing but problems.

As you likely found out, you can not buy just the pick up coil from Yamaha and have to purchase a whole stator to get it. The timing is off from the position of the coil in relative to the clocking spot, meaning you must have it further up or lower then original. This could be from the holes in the aftermarket base. Most times when the engine tries to rip the recoil from your hands its retarded ign timing, if enough, the engine can actually start backwards rotation....lol

In all honesty, I would save your self a bunch of grief and either get a known good used oem Yamaha unit or just bite the bullet and buy the oem Yamaha stator assembly, your time and down time has got to be worth something to ya.

Thank you very much for the quick responses and I managed to find a scrap viper that I can pick parts from so I will be going back to all OEM 👍🏼 I'll keep you posted!

She's running! Aftermarket pick up coil with 400ohm resistance was the culprit. I also re-installed the original stator for piece of mind.

Thanks a million MrViper!!

She's running! Aftermarket pick up coil with 400ohm resistance was the culprit. I also re-installed the original stator for piece of mind.

Thanks a million MrViper!!

no problem, I didn't mean to rain on the parade its just after you have messed with a few of those aftermarket ones, theres nothin but problem with them, go ride and have fun!!

no problem, I didn't mean to rain on the parade its just after you have messed with a few of those aftermarket ones, theres nothin but problem with them, go ride and have fun!!

Another question, do I need to run bigger jets due to the viper crank?

Back