2001 vmax 600 triple - oil consumption and gas question

Diceman

just picked up this sled and took it out for a good ride this Saturday....had a 98 vmax before but can not remember the oil usage I experienced with it...I did a 140 mile ride( 225 k ) and used just under 2 liters of oil ...it ran great but I thought maybe it was alittle boggy at lower rpm's but hard to0 tell since sled is new to me...I kinda fiqured that after last fill up I can go roughly 180 k give or take on a tank...I thought roughly 1 litre of oil per tank ( 45 liter tank).would be about right....am I off on this?..before I start trying to set oil cable I would check with all you experts first..lol...guys I rode with say to leave it alone??? SECONDLY, what your best guess on roughly how far could I expect to go on a tank of gas?...guessiing around 180 k, am I close?...Thanks

Oil consumption should be approx 1l/tank. You should be able to get better that 200 mi/tank. Those get better mileage than the 700's and mine used to get about 220 to MT. How many miles on the sled, these pumps go to like wide open when worn out. Could explain some of the low end bog also carburetion.

Oil consumption should be approx 1l/tank. You should be able to get better that 200 mi/tank. Those get better mileage than the 700's and mine used to get about 220 to MT. How many miles on the sled, these pumps go to like wide open when worn out. Could explain some of the low end bog also carburetion.

well I just got the sled...it has 2200 miles on it...kinda guesstimating mileage ion the sled since I was not paying alot of attention the day I was out....there was not alot of low end bog...since sled is new to me hard to really tell...seemed alittle boggy and say 20 miles an hour but opens up nice...its funny, I have been told that the 700's are way better on gas??

well I need another set of eyes but took a quick look and measurement...so I pulled up the rubber boot and then pulled up the slack on the cable and measured the exposed cable I saw....I got a measurement of 19 mm....did I measure right?..if this sled is down I have my back up sled!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 3
well I need another set of eyes but took a quick look and measurement...so I pulled up the rubber boot and then pulled up the slack on the cable and measured the exposed cable I saw....I got a measurement of 19 mm....did I measure right?..if this sled is down I have my back up sled!!!

The spec on that adjustment is 22mm +/-1mm. It's most accurate to measure it with a pair of calipers using the inside measurement tips. If your at 19mm that's why it's using too much oil, the pump is being held open more than it should be at all throttle points.

thanks for info...another quuestion...does usung way to much oil affect the mileage you get?...some guys have told me hands down the 600 triple is better on gas than the 700's but others say that the 700's are by far better on fuel..????so whats the real story??..lol...

It does in a sense that too much oil causes it to run lean because these sleds use a carb premix system not a direct injection system. Increasing the amount of oil in the mix reduces the amount of gas available to burn and you could find yourself using more throttle for any given riding condition. Fuel mileage really comes down to how hard it's ridden and snow condition/drag.

Back