Sled Bogging down

blueorrfan

My 2000 SXR 600 just came back from the checkup after purchase.
Ran fine when it went in the truck last night.....but today?
Went for a rip and was ok for about 4-5 mins then it started to bog down and sounded like it was missing.
Just before I got home it wouldn't rev over 5200 rpm and I didn't think I was going to make it home!
Put new plugs in and the same thing...

any suggestions before it goes back to the shop?

Torrs acting up by sounds of it. Make sure you have lots of slack in throttle cable. Do a search on torrs lots of info on adjusting throttle cable and how to disconnect carb wires to test.

ok, update...

Bypassed the TORS and drove around the yard....ran great
Took it out to the trails and as the sled got warmer it started acting worse again...

Is it idling ok when it is acting up? How bright is the headlight when it is acting up? Can you get it warmed up then hoist the back off the ground and see if it still acts up with the track off the ground?

The sled idles fine....headlight I'm not so sure as I was riding it at the time.
I did lift the track up and it makes no difference, still runs poor.
Even cold now it runs horrible, previously it ran great cold and started acting worse as it got hotter.

Its possible there is a wire rubbed through on the wiring harness. Happens a lot, especially the harness under the engine that goes to the hood. Is anything funny happening with any gauges? Not saying this is what it is but I have heard when stators start to go bad they can run ok until it gets warmed up. Check if the headlight is bright and check the tach and fuel gauge for anything weird when switching between low and high beam. There are quite a few different possibilities it could be so need to rule out the simpler things first.

I just bought the sled and am trying to get it trail ready.
The speedo doesn't work at all...no backlight....nothing, the tach works fine.

The headlight seems to get as bright as the engine will rev.

Did the shop clean the carbs? The screens for the floats could need cleaned. See if you can see the fuel filter is attached to the hose in the fuel tank.

I sure hope so....it ran so nice the other morning....doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm waiting on that "you won't believe what it was" call....lol

Mine did that same thing once. I bet he will find a loose or a main jet sitting in the bottom of the bowl.

Carbs apart....pretty dirty...but is enough to cause this issue...hope so but doubt it
Now just need snow to test....lol

No, the carbs weren't cleaned on the first visit....just had a checkup
The sled ran great when I picked it up....didn't start acting up until 5 minutes of riding....away from my house!

Back