Stuck Sliders - black hyfax vs white

ontarioyamaha

Yesterday riding on an icy trail with granular snow I experienced a stuck slider. we rode only 8k and stopped for pictures. My group took off and mine would not move.
Found that one slider, lh, was stuck under the front wheels. Broke free, ran on trail sides as much as possible and it ran fine for the remainder of the day.

When we stopped we noticed that my sled and my wife's had black hyfax dust. The rest of the group had white sliders and they all looked fine

Mine are new as are theirs
My tracks are not too tight

Is there a difference between black and white?

I hate the thoughts of pulling the skid again.
Should I bite the bullet and replace them? I put them on 300k ago.

I've always been told that white last longer. White is the natural color of the material and its weakened when color is added. My experience over the years is that this is,true and white does last a bit longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

You dont have to pull the skid to change them, slackin the track all the way then pull thru a track window. Use some kinda spray lube and a chisel in the front to get it started then a slide hammer or equivelant in the rear.

LOL never heard of one colour plastic lasting longer then others. When it's icy like that i look for snow to dive into to cool/lube them up.

before removing them why not just measure/gauge the thickness of what you have left along the rail with a 12 mm wrench. if it won't slip on anywhere along the slider/rail then your good until 10mm. That's how i check my sliders for thickness. yes you can remove those fairly easy on the sled like suggested above. i wouldn't do the reverse trick but some have. i'd just get it thru the window and then put on a pair of vise grips and pull. then lube the new ones up and push them back on then use a rubber mallet and a piece of wooden hockey stick so you don't damage the rail (yes i'm Canadian) to finish getting them on all the way thru the track window. you might have to tap it from the front when removing them to get it past the bend before it comes out thou.

White (natural) does heat a bit slower. Scientific study way back when backed this up. The pigment used to add color is what was considered the difference. I was not personally involved, and I don't think any sledders were harmed in the process.

I have a coworker who rides around 7000 kms a year! And his been doing it for 20 years! Crazy eh?
He has always stated white sliders last noticibly longer. He also tought me to "harden" or " temper" my sliders when I install them. He says you get more life out of them.

Last edited:
Im the garage now, jacked it up and it looks fine. tension seems good and no obvious wear. I measured 17mm all along, not sure what they were new. It stuck right under the wheels. Maybe I just needed more lube.

definitely looking at scratchers but the hyfax seem ok

I ran a set of black with "graphite" in them. They were a separate part number than straight black. I didn't have the sled in that configuration long enough to get any wear info. Next year it had rail extensions and we used nytro mtx sliders cut down

Maybe it's just because you just put them on. I sometimes have break in period when putting on new sliders where I can smell them getting hot and feel them grabbing when I slow down. I just make sure to run through some fresh snow and make sure they are cool before stopping. After a few heat cycles they are then fine for a long time.

I learned this the hard way once when I stopped when they were still hot and I had to get a long screwdriver and pry every clip off the slider. ha ha

Now I run Dupont's and never worry about it.

the UHMW is naturally white in color, when add a pigment you and replacing the UHWM with less dense pigment, thus compromising the sliders strength, leading to faster wear.

Back