$5 Dollar Snowmobile Scratchers

Matt Ridesred

These Clevis pins have worked excellent as scratchers for my SX Viper. I do not have the rear heat-exchanger and have had zero overheating issues since installing these scratchers. $20 Hyfax lasting over a thousand miles. Sled runs cool. Excellent!
3 inch Clevis pins size 5/16" or 3/8"(shown) @ $2.00 each. Washers @ $.08 each.

https://youtu.be/GiS0OyFxCHI

Last edited:

What I have done for ice scratchers before is take a stud and backing plate and drill a hole next to the keel of the ski towards the rear and on the inside and install the stud facing point down. I use a stud that is about 1-1/4" long. It scratches the snow well enough and sprays snow dust into the track area to lubricate the slide and cool the coolers. Cheap idea that worked for me.

Any reason for installing it towards the outside of the ski, not the inside? Any effect on steering? Does it catch on things (rocks, etc?) Looks like an inexpensive solution, I have been looking at different options and I like this.

Any reason for installing it towards the outside of the ski, not the inside? Any effect on steering? Does it catch on things (rocks, etc?) Looks like an inexpensive solution, I have been looking at different options and I like this.

You could put in the inside of the ski. I thought the outside would spray less in front of the track. No effect on steering. Every once in awhile in low snow conditions it does catch, you'll look down and one will be gone. Usually when your carbides are hitting rocks. No damage to ski or hole, just pulls out. One of the best features, spares are cheap! I haven't needed to remove them to trailer. The smooth Clevis pin allows it to push up when there is resistance.

Last edited:
What I have done for ice scratchers before is take a stud and backing plate and drill a hole next to the keel of the ski towards the rear and on the inside and install the stud facing point down. I use a stud that is about 1-1/4" long. It scratches the snow well enough and sprays snow dust into the track area to lubricate the slide and cool the coolers. Cheap idea that worked for me.

Cool! Do you have a pic?

Back