New to the TY Forums!

ShineG8GT

Hey guys,
I'm new to TY...been lurking for a while now since I bought my '02 Viper back in October. I own an '08 Pontiac G8 GT (hence my username) and now I own another toy to have fun with during the winter months!
I've been out of the sport of snowmobiling for about 10 years until buying my Viper this winter. My previous sled was a '94 Vmax 600 Twin, so the Viper is certainly an upgrade!

I finally got the chance to get a significant trail ride in here last weekend (now they're closed). I enjoyed riding the Viper, a very fast trail sled, but needless to say, it left my back battered and bruised!
Does anyone have any recommendation on a rear suspension setup/upgrade? I've read some of the posts about the M10, but that's not really in the budget for me (looking to spend <$500).
What are my options as far as newer skids that will fit in the Viper and what mounting parts would I need to find to make said skid work? Also, if someone could point me to some DIY articles for the swap, that would be helpful! But I mainly need to start with the parts I need first.
Thanks in advance!

polaris edge (what i personally have), doo scIII (and up), yamaha monoshock are the top choices as far as bang/buck/ease of installation imo. Because there are so many mounting point variations from the doo skids it can be difficult getting the proper dimensions for a swap.

I've got a ski doo skid I'd sell for $50, came out of a 96 formula z, not sure if it's an scII or scIII

I believe that would be a sc-10. I had a 97 Mxz that had the same suspension.

I would also check your shocks and make sure they are setup to you. And they are not warn out.

The sled should not ride that bad unless the springs are done up to tight for a heavy rider,or ya the shocks are pooched. Any skidframe can be made to work but you would need something newer than 2005 or so if you want a big bump plush ride.I do the math and compare the old skid rear mounting point to the one that is going in and make shure the rear wheels are lined up when doing so.

Last edited:
I believe that would be a sc-10. I had a 97 Mxz that had the same suspension.

I would also check your shocks and make sure they are setup to you. And they are not warn out.

theyre both sc-10. just different generations. his should be scII.

Thanks guys. I am a heavy rider, about 250 with gear. Maybe I need to dial in the Pro action first. Previous owner was smaller than me and he said it was setup for "soft" trail riding. My trail ride wasn't too soft. Sled has 3700 miles, so not sure if shocks/springs last that long in these or not.

Yes I'm still alive,,, good to see you are to.................. Blue............

Thanks guys. I am a heavy rider, about 250 with gear. Maybe I need to dial in the Pro action first. Previous owner was smaller than me and he said it was setup for "soft" trail riding. My trail ride wasn't too soft. Sled has 3700 miles, so not sure if shocks/springs last that long in these or not.

I would adjust your suspension for sure. You probably were bottoming out a lot. Underneath there is a cam on the front of the back shock. Loosen up the nut and then turn the bolt till it moves all the way down. That bolt has little teeth on it so be careful not to strip them out. Once in the lower position tighten up the nut again. Sit othe sled and see how far the suspension squats. You want about 3 inch sag. There is a exellent write up for how to setup the proaction system by betheviper I believe it was. Explains from front to back on setting one up.

Yeah, I was looking at the Pro Action tuning article and video. I think I'll start there at adjusting my suspension first. I want to adjust the FRA bolt to the lower position then (for a stiffer ride), if I'm bottoming out right? I'm not sure what it's at now, I'll have to check when I get home.
I'm also looking at a monoshock skid to replace the Pro Action, but I probably wont get around to getting that swapped out until summer. Right now, all the snow melted here, so I can't ride either way :-(

Last edited:
With 3700 miles, I'd assume the shocks need a rebuild. If the PO didn't state that they were already. This will make a world of a difference,.....Night and day. It did on my sled everytime I've had them done.

I would suggest pulling the skid and have a look at what is worn out. I'm guessing you'll find plenty. If the shocks have never been rebuilt, they're due.

Back