Big wheel rear idlers.. What offset axle is best?

Batwolf

So I've got my Viper fitted with a 136" '08 Apex monoskid that's stretched to 144" with TracksUSA extensions. I want to big wheel the rear end and switch from 4 to 2 wheels. I did a quick search on here but didn't find any dead-on hits for big wheel applications. Anyhow, I researched IceAge, tkiCNC, and OFTracing.. So far it seems like tkiCNC is gonna be my best option. I'd have to get rid of my Yamaha OE axle tensioners and brackets, then replace with a set of blocks for a push-back tensioning system like on other manufactures. I think I'd step up from 7-1/8" rear idlers to 9" billet rears from IceAge, so the tkiCNC 1" offset axle is my one option. My question is, are any of you running a similar application? What challenges did you encounter? Any info is appreciated!

I'm running 9" rear wheels from cecomponents along with their axle. I went with bigger wheels to help fit the used track i am using. No issues with them, however I also got upper billet wheels and will be puting my plastic ones back in because I cannot keep these from icing up.

Note that running an offset axle and bigger wheels can swallow up track adjustment in a hurry. Make sure you can offset the axle either way or that you have plenty of slack to use up.

Good tip on extra slack. I'm swapping my drivers up front to a smaller diameter though, so partnered with my current tension adjustment, I think I'll be good to go. Why do your idlers ice up so bad? Is it just the wheel style?

I actually think it has some to do with my getto suspension mount brackets that are unpainted steel. After a few hours in the powder I think it starts to build their and the idlers being slick on the edge instead of the rubber like factory they easily stop turning and let ice build on them also. I'm going to paint my brackets and use some PAM I think before my next ride in the powder to see if it keeps the ice down too.

I remember a few guys using axles from... I think it was tricked toys? or maybe sled toys or something.

Back