What aftermarket primary clutch do I have on my phazer II?

KingSpence

I picked this sled up a few months ago, somebody took the time to build it up back in the day and now I'm trying to figure out which parts are on this sled. The primary spider bushing is worn out, mostly every other wearable part, and the fixed sheave has a flat spot for some reason where the cover bushing slides. I need to figure out parts, but first need to figure out wheat I have.

Chassis VIN: 88F-2609 (comes up as 1991)
Engine VIN: 8bh-003457 (comes up as 1994) Do cranks change?

Crankshaft (with no oil pump) is 30mm at it's widest, 27.30mm at its skinniest and 44mm long measuring from the crank seal to end.

It has a Yamaha 141 or 144 2'' track (I'm not sure), DG Pipe, Vmax slide carbs, and Wiesco oversized pistons. The secondary is off an Arctic Cat. It has a yellow spring. I'd REALLY like to identically replace or fix this primary, because somebody has taken the time to tune the clutching and it's not something I'm experienced enough to do.

The Primary looks to be a Comet 108. It has a Gold spring.

Basically what I need to figure out is based on the engine I have, what are the available Primary clutches from Comet this could have on it? I'm a little bit hesitate to jumping to conclusions based on the secondary being from and Arctic Cat. There's no part numbers stamped anywhere on the unit and the shop is having a difficult time figuring out how to order parts from a discontinued company.

This is the only picture I have of the clutch right now. The spider bushing seems to have slid back, the spider itself was crooked and the clutch was not fully disengaged when I noticed the problem in the garage.

31699292443_1d920639e6_b.jpg

32510924635_674ee8b3ea_b.jpg

32389267301_a9bc00a3eb_b.jpg

32359032202_8d3a919d20_b.jpg

Last edited:

Yep, looks to be a Comet 108 EXP. Im guessing you have a Polaris gold primary spring. Measure the height and count the number of coils and compare. The weights will have a number on them to identify them. The cat secondary was a common bolt on back in the day offered by RPC, Decker, and some other aftermarket companies.
Certified Parts corporation bought hoffco comet a few years ago and Comet parts are plentiful. Your local shop should know this. There were a few differences in the EXP clutches over the years and part numbers are usually listed with a discription or a measurement in the catalogs to steer you to the correct parts.
BTW, those suspension drop brackets look like guilotines. (sp)

Last edited:
The weights only say AC on them, using a chart I compared them to a 57.4 gram weight but that's as far as I've gone. Does "AC" have anything to do with ArtCo?

The shop made it sound like the clutch was partially Yamaha and partially Ski-Doo based on the physical description of the crank bolt it led him to believe it could have pieces from a #217504. He said it might have something to do with alignment of the belt with that Arctic Cat primary (guessing), but it sounds like it was a common bolt on and not something one-off. They gave the clutch back to me in pieces because they simply didn't want to deal with the liability :/ Anyways, I've measured everything out and it looks like comet 108exp parts are damn near interchangeable with the exception of the fixed faced sheave on the PTO, am I right? I'm going to order my parts based on my measurments and cross my fingers everything checks out. I went in tonight and their supplier said all the parts I needed were backordered till 2018, which basically means they can't get them. MFGsupply.com seems to have most of it.

If I did decide to go with another clutch what would be a suitable option comparable to this one?

213265 - Movable face bushing (Comes up for a 102c but the ID and OD match what I need)
215111 - Spider buttons (Mine look "okay" no rounded corners but have noticable play in ther position)
211286 - Cover plate bushing. I'm having a hard time sourcing this one i might have to resort to eBay.

Last edited:
Some of the same parts were used on 102c 108c and 108 EXP, with the exception of the rollers, which were specific to the EXP. Comet does not sell the just the cover bushing anymore. You have to buy the cover with the bushing installed. AC is just the identifcation of the weight, nothing to do with arctic cat. 57.3g in my book.

Just get a polaris p-85,youre spring and weights will work in to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back