Having trouble adjusting the track on my viper

HDYAMAHA84

I have a new ripsaw 1.25 track on my viper. But for some reason I cannot get it to stay lined up with the clips. It wants to favor the left side. I got it lined up, tightened up and took for a spin and noticed it moved back to the left. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong? Or could something be tweaked?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How are the threads on the adjustment rods ? Not that they're stripped in one area.

Are you adjusting the track on a stand, then trail riding it and seeing it off center ? The adjustment on the stand is only to get you close. Sled on the snow will give the most accurate reading.

And are you sure the rear axle is tight ? Nothing should move after that's torqued down. Unless you have other issues in the suspension. Broken W arm, rail, or other mounting points.

Adjust your tensioners. If it continues to move left, your right tensioner is a touch too tight and pushing the track over. Of your left is too loose.

Last edited:
Check your suspension arms. Sure sounds like you might have a broken W-arm.

I had the skid out of it and didnt see anything broke other than the strap adjustments were way off from each other? I equaled them out and adjusted everything equally. I had the *** end picked up when i adjusted everything. I think I had the rear wheels tight when I tightened everything..Ill try it again i guess

Probably nothing is wrong!

I had the same problem with my new Cobra track at first. After a few hundred kms it would sag alot more on the right side then the left when you lifted the rear of the sled. At the time I compensated by adjusing till both sides were even by measument. The end result was track wouldn't track worth crap. (always favoured the left side) So I just ended up adjusting it by running the sled with its rear end supported, t'ill it tracked even and streight. Then I would find tune on the trails.

Long story short my track is impossible to track by measument. It has to be done by driving and observing . Now I get it to track streight and true no problem but I had to learn it by experience. Simply the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
I had the skid out of it and didnt see anything broke other than the strap adjustments were way off from each other? I equaled them out and adjusted everything equally. I had the *** end picked up when i adjusted everything. I think I had the rear wheels tight when I tightened everything..Ill try it again i guess

You might want to have a look at BTV's write up about tightening your rear skid. If the bushings haven't been serviced you'll end up with inconsistent track adjustment. You can't determine if the track is tracking straight with it on the ground after riding. The surest way is to have the track suspended (on a stand) and spin the track a few revolutions with the engine, kill the engine and let it come to a stop on its own. Make your adjustment and repeat until it tracks straight.

ok so after inspecting the skid a second time, I found that the w arm was broke and welded and painted! I completely over looked it! so my next question is what other skids will fit a viper? maybe a better setup?

If you trail ride the Mono is a good swap. If you want to off-trail go with a much lighter skid from another manufacturer.

Would a rx1 121 fit it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It'll bolt right in but it's basically the same skid you have in there now. You need to go to the tech FAQ section and read the write ups from BTV. His write ups will answer all your questions - honest.

Back