SPI pistons in viper, any good?

OEM is best. But in saying that the others are also ok. Most guys here use weisco. Biggest thing will be making sure you warm up the sled to allow the aftermarket pistons and OEM jugs adjust to the heat. Very important overall for OEM and aftermarket but extra important with aftermarket pistons.

I also feel that OEM is best for a non-race sled. SPI is ok but not quite the same uniformity so you may not get a good fit. Wiseco is a forged piston and expands at a different rate so have to be very careful on fit and warmup procedures and thus best kept to race sleds with very uniform pre-race, race and cool-down procedures. No matter what you use be sure to follow the correct sizing procedures for the combination you use. Don't just throw new pistons and rings in and hope for the best.

well whats the price difference from your sources between oem and spi? this is a pretty critical part, and if it lets go you are sure to cause damage. i always look at the money i am going to save vs the money its going to cost me to fix if it goes down due to that part failing. usually its not worth it. i have the original pistons in my red head and it has 21,000 km on it. so i say if its proven and works, why change it? go oem.

I use them on my srx cant say anything bad about them!Mind you I have never pulled the jugs off but the compression is still up there.Ya if you want a cheaper way too go and will put 3 in your sled I say go for it.If you use your sled as your main ride and want to get as high of miles as the original have then go oem.

The previous owner of my viper had a burn down and rebuilt it with MCB pistons which I believe are made by the same company. I have 1000 miles on them so far and haven't had any problems. I personally would have used oem but since these were new I decided to see how they would do. So far so good.

I ve had one where the piston ring locating pin came out...was told that either deto/low octane gas or defect. I had always put fuel at our local New Shell station 91 octane. So I figure defect...my other pistons were intact. Not something you hear often.. But I'm sure every company has their problems too.

Back