99 vmax 500 rpms only get up to 6000

shaggyzr2

Got a 99 vmax 500 deluxe, all stock, low miles, shift rpms should be 7800, The most I see on the tach is 6000. the sled goes good, will do 85-90 mph, why would the the rpms be so low? from a stop, you get on the throttle it has some hesitation but then kicks in and goes good.

Both clutches are clean. The other day it would not back shift like it should so I took the secondary apart and cleaned it, almost looks like someone lubed it at one time so the shaft and bushings were gummed up a little. After I cleaned it it back shifted much better. It did seem like the bushings had a lot of slop in them, could warn secondary bushing cause it to not reach shift rpms?

not sure about the warn bushing. Can't be good though. Have you used a black marker yet to see where the belt is riding? Are the springs new or old? Even with low miles othe springs if they were never pulled during the off season they could be warn/weak

I haven't checked it with a marker yet. springs are original. would a warn primary spring keep the rpms down?

Last edited:
Not by that much. I agree. You couldn't do 90 mph at 6000 rpms (even) with an srx.

Back