New to me 03 SXV 700 ESR

YamiSwami

Hello all,

Im new to the forum.

Im picking up a new to me 2003 SXV 700 (red) with the ESR

Front Heat EX is being replaced by the shop (they got it in on trade)

has 3700 miles on it.

So Ive been reading about the HX issues on this sled so Im not going to run anything bigger then a 1.00 track as I want the sled to last awhile.

What can you tell me about the sled? Im thinking of getting a 2nd one for the old lady and get her out on the trails with me. Mainly these sleds will be used in upper MI and Tughill NY.

Im originally from upstate NY and moving back in about 3 years(parents getting old need help)My first sled was a 78 skidoo 340 olympic , then skidoo tnt, then exciter II 570 (that thing was a beast)

I have a mint 96 zrt 600 trip in my barn 01 zr800 (just rebuilt it skid and top end new used track etc) but Im more of a yam i guy i guess. So the cats will be for back up and friends and the yami(s) will be my go to ride.

Anything I should look for when I go look at the sled ? I know about the engine harness chaffing issue(is this hard to get to?) and the HX issues but what about the reliability on this motor? I seen one post about adjusting the needle valves ? why? Are the not set right from factory? I figure I will run yamilube for oil.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I don't know a whole lot about vipers so I can't help you too much, but I believe the needles needed adjusted because they were set a little on the lean side from the factory. Also I have always run yamalube in all my sleds with great results.

Thanks Nails. I know yamaha stuff is pretty high tech, never knew carbs had needle valve adjustments. Is there a video or someone here that might know how to do that with some pics maybe. or is it pretty self explanatory when you drop the bowl..

Check for a pulled or broken power valve. Easy to check if you have a Phillips screwdriver with you and the guy doesn't mind you looking. On the clutch side of the sled there is a power valve controller with 3 cables coming out of it. Remove the 3 screws and check the cables. If they move with your fingers and have tension on them and pull back that's good. If you pull the cable and the cable pulls out of the jacket that would be a broken cable or a pull through. Compression is good to check 2 will be the same or close to the same and one will be lower. The viper heads are cut that way so don't be to alarmed. Although compression tells you it has compression it still is not the best for telling you the over all condition of the rings. I never done one but a leak down test will tell you more about the rings. Doesn't hurt to ask the sell if any mods have been done to the sled as well. Or rebuilds parts replaced ect. And ask about the maintenance of the sled. Service history.

Yes that could be my problem except my tack does not act up all works good if a good carb cleaning and inspection of fule lines / intake boots and reeds don't work I will pull the engine my dad is doing a compression test tonight if it doesn't pass it is coming out for a rebilde eny way I don't like rebuilding engine in the sled because I like to do it from the crank seals up and it gives me a chance to inspect all goods and that make me sleep good at night lol

Back