97 Vmax 600 XTC pissing gas under tunel near heat exchange, I can't find leak?

mazzdaq

I bought a 97 vmax 600 xtc that didn't run when I bought it. So far I cleaned the carbs, replaced all the fuel lines and oil lines, put new boyseen reed cage and reeds, took the gas tank off and completely drained it, put new fuel filter in the tank, took apart the fuel pump and cleaned it. The engine runs great now, idles perfect, but it's pissing fuel out under the sled near the front heat exchange and first saw it when the engine was running coming out neat the exhaust.

I figured out where the fuel was coming from. The vent/ overflow line was pouring fuel out the line and onto the steering stem and onto the heat exchange. Someone told me to change the needle valves in the floats. I just ordered them, unfortunately here in NY we're expecting snow tomorrow....no sledding for me:(

Last edited:

Check where the fuel line comes out of the tank or recheck your fuel lines at the fuel pump. When is running are you possibly leaving from the vent lines on the carbs indicating bad floats?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks Checkinpox!! I figured out what was wrong. Even though I cleaned the carbs, I must need new needle valves for floats. The fuel was pouring out of the overflow line on the carb and running down the steering stem and that's why it looked like it was coming out near the heat exchange and exhaust.

Last edited:
The needle valve itself may be ok. If the o-ring that seals the needle seat to the carb body have never been changed, they are likely hard and not sealing well, and may even be cracked. This would allow fuel to bypass the needle valve and fill up the carb above the float, to the point of leaking out.

Back