Temp Light coming on dim then brighter

Corey9965

2001 SRX. So as the title says my temp light comes on after 5 minutes of buzzing around the yard. It's starts out as a flicker and then stays on. Snow conditions are marginal and my suspension is set up for radar runs. Am I just not getting enough snow on the exchangers? I popped the bleeder screw in the back before I rode because this happened last night too while I was doing some test hits in the yard. Coolant pissed out rather strongly. So I topped it off and pulled rail plug by heads. Nothing came out of that one. So I started it and had good coolant movement in reservoir. Ripped around the yard a bit and the light started flickering. I shut it down and popped the cap and it boiled over. This was after like 4-5 minutes of ripping in yard.
So what's my issue here? Doing my first radar run tomorrow and would like her to be perfect.

thermostat could be stuck closed if its boiling over in the fill tank.

add: are all the heat exchangers hot, both running board and rear exchanger?

Last edited:
I let it sit for a few hours and then re-bled the back plug. I started by elevating the rear end and slowly brought it down till fluid started coming out. Did that a few times and kept topping it off. Then I put the seat back on and started it. The temp light came on immediately and stayed on while it was warming up. I blipped the throttle a few times and it went off then. Ripped around the yard a few times and it didn't come back on. Could I possibly have a rub thru? But I guess that doesn't answer the boiling over thing from earlier. Maybe I had some air in it and finally got it to burp out. I never pulled the t- stat. . I guess I'll see what it does tomorrow on the lake. Gonna be 37 and cloudy.

Last week I had one of my Vmax4's continuously forcing coolant out of the rad cap once the RPM increased over 8000 rpm. I originally thought I had an air lock in the coolant system which was causing the problem. After many attempts to bleed it, I found that compression was being forced into the water jacket due to a leaking head gasket. Once I took the heads off, it was obvious that the gasket was leaking.

I realize the SRX uses O rings as head gaskets and this may be less likely to fail, but it may be worth a look. Good luck.

She ran good today. I hit 98mph on an 800 ft track. I had the light come on after the first and third run. But it's 40 degrees in Wisconsin today and the conditions were not ideal by any means. I think I'm gonna pull the wire loom this week and check for rub throughs. Also gonna pull the T-Stat and check that.

Back