Replacing snow flap, bolts instead of rivets?

steveg_nh

I am replacing the snowflap on my 04 Viper. I don't have the rivets and the dealer said a week to get them. Seems like it would be better to use bolts with locknuts and supporting washers on both sides to spread the stress. Easier to remove later if needed too. I had a hell of a time drilling out the old rivets.

I had a couple of rivets on the sides near the flap pull through. There I'm using new rivets with washers since the hole is enlarged now. But why not bolts and washers on the flap I thought.

Any reason why this isn't a good idea? Certainly could do it until I get the rivets but was thinking it's fine permanently.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Bolts will work good definitely won't work there way out! I had to replace a rivet that fell out this year i just went to the hardware store and bought a pack I also got a small washer the fit over the rivet on the inside of the tunnel it really sucked itself down!

Yup exactly. All stainless with washers on both sides. I figure for a track replacement or rail removal it might be nice to be able to easily get the flap out of the way.

I've been using bolts and locknuts for many years and never had any back off.As a matter of fact my '98 SRX came from the dealer with allen head bolts in the flap rather than rivets.Whether it was because the dealer didn't have any 3/16 rivets or what but it's worked for this many years.

Stainless button head allen socket bolts with nyloc nuts and washers (all stainless). It is really nice to be able to remove it at will and simply replace it. Rivets always seem to loosen (maybe tail landings or tail stands) but the bolts stay put. Looks as good as it did when I put it on.

Came out nice. Here's the old flap (junk) and the new one installed.

e7096546ee42e932d20ddf895e2ba38d.jpg

609b46969247d2d35a59c5770078000c.jpg

Back