04 SX viper left me stranded

yammitrip1

Out with my pack last night and just got on the last route to head home, my sled is a 2004 SX viper S with what it used to have electric start and reverse. I recently deleted all of that. Sled has 3900 miles on it.

Riding down the trail, thought I may have dropped a bulb because lights got dim, flicked to high, lights do. Sled was still running, I reach down to my key and flick of then on, figured to try and reset the lighting relay, sled ran for 20ft and completely no spark.

I checked for rub through a last night and wires in the foot wells as well. I just noticed the viper had a fuse box on the right foot well. Checked hem and there good.

Give me some ideas here guys, any possible way a stator could die out like that? NVR seen on do it but hell I've seen worse

Did you install a smoothing condenser when you pulled the e-store? I am not sure what damage would be done but I know it is important.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's all I did was unplug the relay like others stated to do. I have deleted e start on other vipers that didn't have that and the guages were all screwed up, this one I just unplugged the relay, fired it up, guage was perfect and not iratic. So I rode it. Now it died, but the way it died I feel as if it grounded out some where (short) because it died the lights and then just completely gave out on me

Check to make sure you have the smoothing condensers. Above right foot well. Did you remove the entire harness from under sled and inspect? Stator can go at any time without warning.

If that sled had a factory fuse box it was a ER sled and did not have smoothing condensers. I can't say but not having them may have put a harder load on stator?

This is a 2004 SX viper S, someone definitly added er to the sled, it has 2 smoothing condensers on the right foot well, look like D batteries. It does also have a factory fuse box. All I literally did is unhook the three prong plug from the relay on top of the battery tray. I'm assuming all Yamaha wire harnesses have this feature to add electric start. In my fuse box it has ignition , tail and head fuse.

I just swapped stators and got spark again, I need a back up one though. Because this was my spare.

I'm also going to remove my es from my viper er. I don't have any smoothers on sled, does the wire harness on the er models have the 2 connectors in harness for both smoothers to plug in?

that sucks. pretty sure I lost the motor in one of my viper's this weekend (the one with only 2000 miles)....so much for preventative maintenance...and the saying pay a little now or a lot later...guess that does not apply to snowmobiles.think I am just gonna call a recycler to come and get it.

I have a 2003 viper blew a piston on the right side it snubbed out went to restart and it was locked up tried again then it started sounded a little noisy . Towed it back that cylinder only had 30lbs compression. Pulled cylinder found piston and cylinder scord and carbon free must of been running lean. Also found small build up of metal on cylinder and hair line crack in cylinder skirt. I think a piece of reed valve broke off. Going to to check the reeds today. I have we started it with electric 4500 miles. Also had a light buzzing noise the last 75 miles.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

I have had 2 experiences with Vipers now and both of them had broken reeds I just fixed mine last week! they do break! nice thing is you can change all of them out for stock ones for about $35

Back