New owner of a an SRX with a few questions.

NedTheSledHead

I am very happy to have purchased a 98 srx ohlins addition in mint shape with 9000kms. It is running beatifully and pulls like crazy. A few little issues have come up though and I was hoping to get some guidance.

1) i tested the compression today was surprised by the results. Each cylinder showed around 110psi and all lost around 3-4 psi over a 5 minutes. I was surprised because the sled starts instantly when warm and shows no sign of any loss of power. Now the tester is of the cheap variety and the engine was cool but I did follow the all plugs off full throttle 5 pulls procedure. What should i be numbers should I be seeing? if these are the true numbers can I get through the season and do a rebuild in the summer without damaging the motor?

2)I put a new belt on and it is squealing and occasionally i can smell a bit of rubber.

3) What is the correct chain case oil? Can I use a synthetic 75-90? I have a bottle laying around.

4) Im a big fella and the rear suspension sags like crzay. Any tips to raise/ stiffen the rear?

4) Any maintenance advice would also be welcome.

Thanks
Ned

Compression is fine. Gauges vary a lot. If they are all the same is more important. 75-90 is fine. Crank up spring preload. Adjust the belt heighth in secondary(three little bolts on back of it).

I am very happy to have purchased a 98 srx ohlins addition in mint shape with 9000kms. It is running beatifully and pulls like crazy. A few little issues have come up though and I was hoping to get some guidance.

1) i tested the compression today was surprised by the results. Each cylinder showed around 110psi and all lost around 3-4 psi over a 5 minutes. I was surprised because the sled starts instantly when warm and shows no sign of any loss of power. Now the tester is of the cheap variety and the engine was cool but I did follow the all plugs off full throttle 5 pulls procedure. What should i be numbers should I be seeing? if these are the true numbers can I get through the season and do a rebuild in the summer without damaging the motor?

2)I put a new belt on and it is squealing and occasionally i can smell a bit of rubber.

3) What is the correct chain case oil? Can I use a synthetic 75-90? I have a bottle laying around.

4) Im a big fella and the rear suspension sags like crzay. Any tips to raise/ stiffen the rear?

4) Any maintenance advice would also be welcome.

Thanks
Ned

For the belt squeal, take out the 3 bolts on the back of the secondary, there should be washers on them, remove the washers and put the bolts back in, that will spread the secondary sheaves apart to drop the belt down so it isn't so tight in the primary.
you could use the 75-90 synthetic, I use maxima synthetic chain case oil.
Make sure your carbs are spotless, they should be cleaned every fall before you ride it. There is a good write up in the technical section on how to clean the carbs. Also make sure you keep the power valves clean, if they gum up they will get stuck in the cylinder and the cable will pull through. You need to use oil formulated to keep power valves clean, Most guys on here use yamalube 2s or amsoil interceptor, both good oils but the yamalube is a quite a bit cheaper. Make sure both clutches are clean so they can function properly.

Those two got ya covered!! Comp and leak down sound fine. The actual number you got is not very important its the difference between the 3 cylinders.

Thanks guys!

I will follow the instructions listed. Im using ipone oil which i got from my Yamaha dealer, does anyone else use it? as for the power vales and carb i will pull them off in the spring for a good clean... we just got 30cm of snow and another 20 is coming so I I dont want to risk taking the sled out of action during prime conditions.

One last question

The tip of one of my skis is broken. I tried to get a ski from my dealer and they say they have been discontinued. The carbides the other ski and mounts are perfect and i dont want to spend 600 on a full new set up. Anyone know where I can get a bare ski?

Also Im looking at m10 suspension. does it transfer directly from the Polaris or do I have to order from fast? There are quite a few Polaris sleds being parted out around me with m10 suspension.

Last edited:
I am in the exact same boat. New to me 98 Ohlins SRX 700 with about 5600mi, so this thread helped me a bit as well. As for compression, I am getting 60 PSI, but it is consistent between all three cyl. Can anyone tell me if should I check anything else or be concerned?

Thanks!

Yes. got to 60 in 1-2 pulls, then went a few more with no change at all. That was my thought as it is just a cheap tester from HF.

Is there any way to tell if there been any porting or piston work without complete disassembly? There is aftermarket exhaust, just wondering how far they went.

You should have the throttle held wide open when doing a compression test. If you remove the exhaust manifolds look up into the exhaust port, if the surface looks like it has been smoothed out it had some porting done to it, it will be rough if it's stock.

Nice pick up, I just bought a 98 this year as well, got to ride it two weekends for 420 miles. Sled ran great and handles awesome.
777739b70f079a2d69d44e7a45a23da8.jpg
be35180b03219069bb970f33ef4ae13c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back