Working the Bugs out 04 Viper

hessracing

Hey guys getting the bugs worked out of this thing, I have the needles @3.25 the fuel screws @ 2 idle set @1500 rpms I found out I had holes drilled in the top of the air box under the foam I put duct-tape over those, I found out I had broken reeds changed them out with brand new Yamaha reeds. I found out my head pipe was cracked in 4 places in the middle top and bottom, I had that welded and put it all back together and I still have a slight idle hang it does idle down to the 1500 when you stop but hangs around 3 and 4 for a bit the sled just rolled 6000 miles runs and drives excellent good power besides the idle hang it was also 42 degrees out yesterday when I was out on it getting really frustrated I do have an MBRP trail can on it. Carbs are clean with stock jetting. I have an MBRP can on my srx 700 no issues for at all for 8 years, my 98 vmax 700 xtc had a sno stuf rumble pack, a bender can on our 98 vmax 500 xtc as well both had gutted air boxes and no issues at all is the viper that finicky?

u can try to lower a little more the idle rpm or open up a little more the pilot jet ....:-)

Hey guys getting the bugs worked out of this thing, I have the needles @3.25 the fuel screws @ 2 idle set @1500 rpms I found out I had holes drilled in the top of the air box under the foam I put duct-tape over those, I found out I had broken reeds changed them out with brand new Yamaha reeds. I found out my head pipe was cracked in 4 places in the middle top and bottom, I had that welded and put it all back together and I still have a slight idle hang it does idle down to the 1500 when you stop but hangs around 3 and 4 for a bit the sled just rolled 6000 miles runs and drives excellent good power besides the idle hang it was also 42 degrees out yesterday when I was out on it getting really frustrated I do have an MBRP trail can on it. Carbs are clean with stock jetting. I have an MBRP can on my srx 700 no issues for at all for 8 years, my 98 vmax 700 xtc had a sno stuf rumble pack, a bender can on our 98 vmax 500 xtc as well both had gutted air boxes and no issues at all is the viper that finicky?
Pilot jets are difficult to clean because they are so small. I've run thin strands of wire and kinked it to scrape the stuck dirt, or guitar string. Replacement is also a good option. Let us know what works if you figure it out, there is much debate on this issue. I can tell you mine started to idle hang, and scraping the inside of the pilot jet cured it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure my Pilots are clean last time I had my carbs off I shot them with Carb cleaner and hit them with the air compressor not saying there inst something in them now. seems to be an issue with these machines might have to just live with it if I take the carbs off i might try and turn my fuel screws to 2 1/4 to see what happens

I've posted this before, there are carbon cleaners (example - GM "cleans") that you can use which removes ALL deposits from jets large and small. All I do is remove all the brass from the carbs, put them in a glass jar, spray "cleans" until they are covered and leave them overnight.The next day, rinse the parts in varsol and blow out with compressed air. Voila, minty fresh, look brand new!

I will pull the carbs this weekend and check out the pilots again I ordered a new fuel filter too just for piece of mind i don't think the pilot jets are my issue though.

I've posted this before, there are carbon cleaners (example - GM "cleans") that you can use which removes ALL deposits from jets large and small. All I do is remove all the brass from the carbs, put them in a glass jar, spray "cleans" until they are covered and leave them overnight.The next day, rinse the parts in varsol and blow out with compressed air. Voila, minty fresh, look brand new!
Good to know, I've always wondered what is a good cleaner. I'll look for GM cleans. Thx.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

there are carbon cleaners that you can use which removes ALL deposits from jets large and small. All I do is remove all the brass from the carbs, put them in a glass jar, spray "cleans" until they are covered and leave them overnight.The next day, rinse the parts in varsol and blow out with compressed air. Voila, minty fresh, look brand new!

Methel Ethel Keytone. Or MEK. Use a glass baby food jar.

Back