Viper Crank Help!

Buffalo

Happy sledding all.. new to this forum, glad to be apart of this community.
Just picked up a super clean 02 Yamaha srViper just under 6k. Has always been garage kept and it shows. I am kinda kicking myself in the a** for Not doing my homework before buying, considering all the "crank" issues that seem to be notorious for these sleds.

Looking for any insight on what I should look over/ maybe modify / any possible signs for failures? All input will be greatly gratified!

Kyle from Buffalo
Yamaha SR Viper 700

IF any guy on here says a viper has crank issues, they must read too much to say the least, plenty of high mileage vipers out there that have had zero issues with the crank. Yes they fail, yes they fail more then others...but a crank issue is the last thing i would be worried about with a viper.

id start with adding a srx torque arm to the viper, i personally have broken many sx viper engine mounts. I would also look in the tech section and read about adjusting your needles as the viper has a lean condition in the sweep of the throttle from the factory. Then i would simply just go through the basics, clean the carbs, check over the reeds, clean the clutches and go through the suspension for any worn parts ( look at the limiter straps and the front W arm very closely as they fail pretty regularly but nothing a welder cant fix).... then after that maybe purchase yourself some heelclicker clutch weights and get ahold of mr.viper on here or start with a search on it. ride an older sled and laugh at the newer ones broken down on the side of the trail when you go buy.

it is already over the milage my brothers failed at so it should be good to ride once you do the maintenece items on it and clean the carbs extremely well as yammitrip1 covered everything but the wiring harness rub through in his list of check items. all are posted here in the srx/viper section.

Yammitrip1 and Maim thanks a bunch for getting back to me! Definitely a feeling of relief, thanks for all the positive feedback. I will be going though the regular maintenance for sure. Learned about the needles coming from the factory and needing to be adjusted. I've read a whole bunch of threads Mr.Viper was a part of.. what a guy, extremely priceless knowlage for any srx/sr Viper owner. I will throw some pics up later to show you fellas what I am working with and I definitely want to start with mods such as the motor mounts and clutch weights yammitrip1 mentioned. I do first have to purchase a rear heat exchanger (waiting to hear back from a local guy who may have one) then I'll be looking for some tips on the install! I will also be buying a new track , never go wrong with some new rubber , any recommendations would be sweet. 38 is the average low next week here in Buffalo, NY so the powder will be here before we know it. Again thanks a ton guys, rookie sleddogg, sick that guys like you are around to help a guy out.

Update : shout out to SRX700c pointing out I mistakenly calling my sled a SR

-- 02 SX Viper700 --

Can not wait to rip...

Back