1998 SRX600 Tach not working and specifics on adjusting power valve cables

Amanda11270

I found a tech page on adjusting the power valve cables but need a little clarification. This sled is new to me, and had two bad valves upon purchase. I replaced them and now I want to adjust the cables. In the tech page it says I can power the servo to mimic the position where they are adjusted, but I cannot find what connection I power with a battery to do so. The tech page show the right side cover where the pull start is, but I dont see any wires there. On the left side where the voltage regs are there is a connector with a plug in it, but it has three wires. Also up behind the gauges there is a open red and black conn with nothing in it. I read or I can set it with the idle below 900rpm, tough to do when my tach doesnt work.

Just an fyi, when I start the sled the servo either stays almost still, or it moves to the clockwise position to where the cable holes are at about 1-2 oclock, as opposed to 11 oclock when the sled is not running.

My sled is pull start only, no battery.

I read the tach wire splits or rubs thru and can cause my non working tach but where exactly?

Just start sled and flip on choke till sled idles down below 900 and the servo will set it self into the correct position. Hit the kill switch once the servo sets itself to the correct position. You dont need the tach to do this as you will hear and see the servo move, then hit kill. Tach sounds like a rub through . Pull main harness out and give it a good once over, very common problem. Tie a long string around the hood end of harness so when you pull it out you can use that string to fish it back through.

I adjusted the power valve cables, it appears that adjustment is done with the servo in the home position.

Ingenius idea with the string for the wire, pulled it thru under the motor up to where the coolant reservoir is and a few of the wires are hard and rubbed thru with exposed copper. Is this enuf to stop the tach.

Yup. Any type of short can do it. I would take harness cover off, go through whole thing. Repair what’s needed with shrink wrap and solder. Should fix your problem and stop further issues. I always wrapped mine in that plastic wire loom after repairs. Do it right and you’ll never have another problem.

Back