Quick clutching questions?

nails

I am going to be going through my 2000 vmax 700 and building it up but I have some questions about clutching, I am going to be using turks set up.

51/43 Helix, stock weights w/4.5g rivet in 1st hole and 3.1g in tip, 2-3 engagement shims, stock springs, 1 or 2 layers removed from head gasket and 22/40 gearing. Jetting: 142.5 mains

I am going to be running a single layer head gasket, 21/40 gearing, 51/43 bender helix, stock jetting and 1.25" track no studs. Mostly trail riding and some off trail and lake racing. I know most clutching is trial and error, but I was wondering if i should start with 2 or 3 engagement shims ( they are yamaha shims ) also what degree on the helix I was thinking maybe 80 degree??? I have done plenty of serching but keep finding different answers, any help is appreciated.

youll need premium gas with just 1 layer of gasket, that's 93 octane! start off at 70 degree on your rear wrap, youll have to try it and see where it runs for rpm and how acceptable the backshift is, heavy wet snow will require more rear wrap, dry fluffy stuff and you can get away with 60. it also depends on your weight and traction, its adjustable(rear spring tension settings) and easy to do.

Thank you mrviper that is exactly what I was looking for a great starting point.

Back