02 Viper suspension swap...

YamiSwami

Hello everyone..

Ok so I am thoroughly confused..

I have a pair of 2002 Vipers (ER) that I would like to swap suspensions on as I am a bigger guy 360 geared.

What I have seen thus far with my research is the doo skid SC10 2 is the go to skid.. HOWEVER, im not seeing anything specific to skid swap on VIPERS.

Is there a link to a thread that I am missing that someone could point me to for measurements specific to a viper skid swap to the SC10 2? or is there a different skid that I should be considering ?

Please and thank you

If you do a search "skid swap" there is plenty of information that will pop up for you. The other place is the "TY User Builds and Working Logs" section. I know there are lots of guys who have done this swap as I too am looking at a skid swap, I'm looking to put a 144" skid from a Mt. Viper in mine, but like I said many have used the SC skid and once you find a thread you can always PM the higher members as they are great to provide info and BIG TIME help with specifics.

:2strokes:

Last edited:
I did an M10 in mine. Also a BIG boy ! When I'm WOT it'll collapse the rear suspension completely. I need to get stiffer springs for sure. No matter what at our size spring mods are going to be needed ! The stock rear skid suffers rideability but the M10 traction is nowhere near as good as the PRO Action. The Viper is still a SX chassis the same as the Phaset II, SRX SXR, etc the suspension is an inch or so taller than the others but the tunnels and frame are very similar so any SX thread should give the needed info. I think when I bought my mount kit..... template from FAST I think all the SX were listed as the same. Hope this info helps.

Don't go with a 2 its too old of a skid go with the 3 or 4 if that's the brand you want. Really any brand of skidframe will work its more a how new or what you can find. The viper and srx are the same bolt pattern so there is no problem there and the vip sits higher in the front so a taller skidframe works better than the srx.

Thanks guys I think after some research and consideration, I will just keep the stock suspension and send out the shocks to be revalved and heavier springs and stick with that. It seems that would be the easiest, cheapest and give me really good results. im not looking to be ditch banging, but maybe catch a foot or 2 of air on a mogul would be cool without killing my back or the skid..

When I had my skid shocks rebuilt,re valved & resprung I was 305# w/o gear.

Thank you sir.. yeah im working on the weight going to be a new year and less me in it..lol goal is 20 lbs for now.. but I also found a guy on ebay selling custom made drop down brackets for vipers that adds 3 inches of travel. using the existing factory holes in the rear and you drill a new set of holes in the front but the new holes still catches the tunnel supports.. So I think those combined with re valved shocks with heavier springs are just the ticket to make it a much more enjoyable ride.. Plus someone mentioned adding a boss seat and a 2 inch riser on the bars.

I am trying to get some feedback on these drop down brackets on the forum under a different thread but no luck so far.. I posted a link to the ebay listed so that people could check them out.. But from a mechanical stand point would they hold up good on the trails? like i said no ditch banging but a foot or 2 of air off the top of a mogul or little hill is all i need to feel like a pro.. think they are using like 1/4 of stainless for the brackets.. i guessing some lock tite on the screws and bolt it should hold up.. anyone here a mechanic or tech that can give me the low down on using a set of drop brackets?

The drop brackets don’t add travel. They just let the suspension out of the tunnel farther to sit up higher. It also plays with the geometry in how the suspension was designed to work which I don’t believe is the desired result.

get the shocks revalved and get some. Springs from a venture 2up and you are good to go!

Last edited:
The drop brackets don’t add travel. They just let the suspension out of the tunnel farther to sit up higher. It also plays with the geometry in how the suspension was designed to work which I don’t believe is the desired result.

get the shocks revalved and get some. Springs from a venture 2up and you are good to go!

THANK YOU!!! its what I was going to do anyways but was wondering.. guess those brackets are just a gimmic not really improving anything.. thank you sir..

Back